Skip to main content
Topic: multipoint controller (Read 2862 times) previous topic - next topic

multipoint controller

Hi there,
please I need help with Mulitpoint controller, I have read the explanation in the help section, gone to previous massages but I am still at  lost. I'll appreciate your help.

Re: multipoint controller

Reply #1
If you give an idea of what you are trying to do, then this would give some starting point for how to help.

Multi-point controllers allow you to change various MIDI controllers over time, as well as music tempo. They are generally used to vary a particular aspect of the music over time.

Reply #2
I tried to use itto ritard over a number of measures say a Period of 8 measures but could'nt make do just those measures,it went beyond them.

Reply #3
A ritard is quite easy. I don't think you actually need the multi-point controller for this. Say you want to ritard from quarter = 100 to 80 between measure 11 and 18. Anywhere before measure 11 you need a "set tempo" (Insert/Tempo/quarter/100). Then at measure 11, insert a tempo variance (Insert/Tempo Variance/Ritardando). In measure 18, set tempo again, this time to quarter/80. NoteWorthy will gradually and evenly reduce the tempo to 80, beginning at measure 11, ending at measure 18.

Reply #4
Thanks William, what is really the advantage of one over the other? Say in tempo control for instance, the simple use of ritard or rall. as you described above works fine, but I need to know the particular advantage of the Multipoint controller if there is any. This applies also to volume control which can be achieved by a crescendo or decrescendo. Since this can be done with these methods what is the need for the MPC?

Reply #5
For tempo control, the ordinary ritard. gives a linear (constantly changing) tempo over its operating range. A tempo mpc gives additional flexibility in defining the rate of slowdown (or speed-up), you can implement up to four different rates (using the linear style) or up to four discrete tempo changes (using the absolute style).

Dynamics (cresc. and decresc.) affect the note velocity, not channel volume. For changing volume (and other controllers such as expression, reverb, pitch bend, etc.) mpc's are required.

There's a tutorial on using mpc's in the Appendix 1 (Section 7, "Exercises", starting at page 40) of the "NWC Command Summary", available for free download from The Scriptorium.