Skip to main content
Topic: Error Message (Read 2562 times) previous topic - next topic

Error Message

I have my computer hooked up to a Yamaha keyboard.  Every time I hit play, I get this error message. "an attempt to cache patches failed"  The song seems to play properly, but I hate getting error messages.  Does this happen to everyone?  I read the forum message about this but that message is 6 years old.  Any fixes or suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Error Message

Reply #1
I'm no expert in this but... is your keyboard *general* MIDI compatible, or is it one of the low-end keyboards that is not fully compliant with general MIDI? If the latter, it will not obey all instructions sent to it from the computer.

Re: Error Message

Reply #2
This message is caused by your MIDI device driver:

1 - Your MIDI device driver claims that it needs to cache MIDI instrument patches (in technical terms, it indicates MIDICAPS_CACHE in its device capabilities).

2 - When NWC sees this indicator, it builds a cache of all of the patches contained in your song, and then passes them to your MIDI device. However, your device is then returning an error condition when provided the patch cache by NWC.

If your MIDI synthesizer does not really require/support a patch cache, then it should not be indicating the MIDICAPS_CACHE device option. Perhaps the maker of your synthesizer has an updated driver that corrects this.

Does anyone else see this error message? If so, what kind of synthesizer/MIDI port driver are you using?