Skip to main content
Topic: Who wrote Dona Nobis Pacem? (Read 9544 times) previous topic - next topic

Who wrote Dona Nobis Pacem?

Hey I just downloaded a song called "Dona Nobis Pacem" the file said that it was composed by Haydn, but later i found another file of the same song that was composed by Bach
so who wrote it? thanks!

Re: Who wrote Dona Nobis Pacem?

Reply #1
Both composers you mention wrote a piece entitled "Dona Nobis Pacem" (Grant us peace). It's 'apparently an optional part of the ending section of the Catholic mass, so there are probably many other Dona Nobis Pacems around -- just as there are many Glorias, Kyries, etc.

Reply #3
"Dona nobis pacem" is the final line from the 'Agnus Dei' (Lamb of God), the last of the 5 parts of the Ordinary of the Catholic Mass (the five parts are: Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus+ Benedictus and Agnus Dei).
So, basically, any composer who writes a setting of the Catholic Mass, also composes a "Dona nobis pacem".

Reply #4
The "Most Famous" one is by Mozart.

Reply #5
Now there's a coincidence.
Started by FJH
composed by Haydn
as in Franz Joseph Haydn

Reply #6
lol yeah,he's my favorite composer

Reply #7
In the 17, 18 and 19th Centuries almost every major and minor composer wrote a setting of the mass. In each mass setting there is the Dona Nobis Pacem.  Mozart, Schubert and Haydn wrote several settings of this text.

Reply #8
Just saw your query.  You might be referring to John Rutter's Requiem, recorded in London with the Cambridge Strings during the 80s, I think - exquisite!

John Cannon

Reply #9
There is one by Mozart and another one by JF Haydn which is quite popular these days.