Skip to main content
Topic: Some songs I've made with NWC (Read 5735 times) previous topic - next topic

Some songs I've made with NWC

I've been using NWC to write midi's for a while now. I'm not sure if my songs are any good, but if you want to check them out you can download them here:
http://www.rpgland.com/music.html

My songs are under the name EKVile666. I don't know much about music theory, so my songs aren't very complicated. Actually come to think of it I don't know anything about music theory, and 90% of the posts on this forum go way over my head. Anyway, maybe you could take a listen and tell me what you think, and what I could do to improve.

Re: Some songs I've made with NWC

Reply #1
You can post your Noteworthy songs on the Noteworthy newsgroup where they will receive supportive consideration from other users.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
If you read all the way to the bottom of the (above-listed) web page, you will see this notice:

"*Midis that are user created may NOT be used without permission from the creator, so no stealing!!*"

Indeed. I suggest that those wishing to post their creations on the web clearly indicate whether or not the item can be circulated or used for various purposes. A copyright notice does not necessarily prohibit other uses (copyright holder might grant free license, as I often do). Lack of copyright notice does not automatically grant permission, but there are a number of truly anonymous items out there, apparently intended for free circulation.

Reply #3
I'd post to the newsgroup(if I could), but judgeing from the posts there, it seems the kind of music I make really wouldn't be welcome there.

Reply #4
Oh, I wouldn't say that.  Your music is what we call "Folk Music," though not in the traditional sense.  I've listened to a few of your MIDIs, and, while they do show that you have not studied music officially, you seem to have been studying in the natural way - listening to the music of others.  Though your music may never win any awards, it seems to come from where music is supposed to come from.
Keep it up!

Reply #5
Folk music? Now, I can see myself classified as metal or rock, but Folk? Please explain, you've just confused the hell out of me.

I have a *little* formal training in music theory, back from high school chorus, but music theory has always baffled me. So you're right, I just write music the 'natural' way.

Reply #6
"Folk Music" is music that is created by "untrained people."
Over time, we have come to associate folk music with a certain style, a certain sound, but I do not mean to imply that your music sounds anything like that.  I just mean that you write your music without being tied down to any rules.

Reply #7
Was it perhaps Hank Williams who said that all music is "folk" music, since he'd never heard music composed by a horse?

Reply #8
I thought it was Woodie Guthrie.  But I don't have a reference at hand, at least not while bed calls.

Reply #9
Well....how do u get into this newsgroup? and where would the user's songs be posted?