Skip to main content
Topic: Insert text - remeber Expression Placement (Read 3706 times) previous topic - next topic

Insert text - remeber Expression Placement

Despite I have checked Persistent Note Tools, I still have this problem: When I insert text (e.g. a chord) I want "Staff position" in "Expression Placement" to be "-15". Next time I use "Insert text" the expression placement is replaced by "0". Can I do something about it? I want it permanently to be -15.
Kind regards
Steffen Appelquist

Re: Insert text - remeber Expression Placement

Reply #1
The program appears only to remember the text position per staff. So if you enter more text on the same staff, it will position it the same as the previous text, but if you move to a new staff, it goes back to the centre again.
Also, I don't believe the text position is saved between Noteworthy sessions, as (IIRC) my investigations of the file format haven't revealed anywhere that this is stored. Of course, it might just look for the previous text item on the staff, and use that.

RObin

Reply #2
This depends on your setting for Smart Properties Insert in Tools | Options | Editor. Right click and use the What's This? menu to learn more about it.

When Smart Properties Insert is enabled, only other text expressions that have identical text will be considered when placing a newly inserted text expression.

You can make this easier by copying and pasting an existing expression and then modifying them after they are in place to include any new text that you want to add. You can also disable Smart Properties Insert, and then text will be initially placed at the insertion point. You can always move it around by selecting it by itself, then using the Ctrl+Shift and the Up/Down arrow keys.

Reply #3
I find the fastest way to deal with this is to insert the chord symbols first in the appropriate place in the score, payiong no particular attention to the placement; when I have inserted all the chords, I then select the whole stave and set expression placement to wherever I want the chords (I usually use "12" and "at next note"; then hey presto, all your chords neatly placed. If you have any other text expressions, such as directions or dynamics, you can place those after you have finished the chords.

Reply #4
When I have Smart Properties Insert enabled, I get only one tab in the dialog.  I get three only after I select it and press Ctrl+E.  Is there some way to have Smart Properties Insert enabled and get all three tabs initially?

Reply #5
No. The smart properties mechanism is performed after you press OK, so there is no way for those tabs to be presented to you when this mechanism is in effect.

Reply #6
That's a bummer.  I would like to be able to set things a certain way without having to set them and then edit them, but I also find the smart properties mechanism very handy, and time-saving.  I guess I can either have my cake, or eat it...