Skip to main content
Topic: Piano Score - Printing (Read 4979 times) previous topic - next topic

Piano Score - Printing

I have some fairly high notes in the base clef of a piano socre I am working on and when printing they conflict with the stems in treble clef.

Is there a way to change this -- I trying changing the staff point size but it doesn't seem to do anything to help this.

Re: Piano Score - Printing

Reply #1
I figured it out -- staff properties - not page setup !!

Happy camper here -- I have been putting this off for weeks because I couldn't figure it out.

Reply #2
BASS clef!

Reply #3
Could you change the clef on the 'left hand' stave to treble, for the duration of the highest notes?  I'm no pianist, but I think I've seen this on scores in the past.

Reply #4
Or you could lower the interfering notes one octave and then insert as text 8----------- above the notes. It won't sound right (see layering to fix that) but it will look right.

Reply #5
Not in piano music. Treble clef is the answer. I've only seen 8va above the Treble clef and very occasionally below the Bass clef.

Reply #6
see layering to fix that
Layering not needed.  Insert hidden clef with octave up.  Then when done insert another hidden clef with octave down.

Reply #7
Not quite! if there is a system break then you won't get the clef on the next line until you restore the real (unhidden) one. You still need layering to get round that one.

Reply #8
You still need layering to get round that one.
Not quite!
Just put in a visible clef at the beginning of the next line, followed by another hidden one.

Reply #9
Until you change the page layout.

Reply #10
This is why I just use a hidden staff (not hidden clefs) that sounds the way I want, with a visible staff that is muted.

(The spell checker doesn't like clefs.)

Reply #11
Maybe the plural of clef is claven.

Reply #12
Why HIDDEN clefs?  Put the treble clef in visibly, when back in reasonable range, insert the bass clef.  NWC handles this well, and the right clef will be printed at the line breaks.

Reply #13
(Trained pianists should be able to handle it well too.)