Skip to main content
Topic: Wolf Whistle (Read 4280 times) previous topic - next topic

Wolf Whistle

The wolf whistle is one of those ubiquitous musical icons familiar to all of us who grew up watching Bugs and Daffy and listening to Steve Miller (some people call me Maurice). Why am I having so much trouble reproducing it then? Would the MPC be of any help? I am at a total loss. Can anyone suggest the sequence, say, starting on F# (Key of B) keeping duration to about 2 beats.

Re: Wolf Whistle

Reply #1
Fred Nachbaur has an example of a glissando in http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html  Just look at "gliss.nwc". Two alternating hidden staves prevent any break in the sound.  To do a wolf whistle you would need to speed up the end of it.

Reply #2
To that, I add: If you have no idea regarding the amount of frequency sweep, try the following:

Get one of the free frequency analysis programs that you can find on the Internet. Analyze a real (or, synth) wolf whistle to find the dominant frequencies. Don't waste your time trying to over-analyze the waveforms.

Your MIDI track might benefit from one of the non-instrumental patches, such as sawtooth wave.

Reply #3
i just want to know how to wolf whistle . thats why im searching for pages on "how to wolf whisle"

Reply #4
Provided that you are old enough and tough enough, I suggest that a faster way to learn wolf whistling would be at a construction site!

Reply #6
Very good! Has a certain wistful quality to it. ;-)