Skip to main content
Topic: importong midi rhythm (Read 3175 times) previous topic - next topic

importong midi rhythm

Hi Friends,

I have read about importing triplets from a midi file, Although those messages on the data base sent me back to 4-5 years ago.
Is there any way to import triplets created recently which I might have note noticed?.

All the Best

Paulo Galvão

Re: importong midi rhythm

Reply #1
Not that I know of. By way of comparison, I looked at another MIDI to notation import program that does have a triplet import capability, and discovered that the result is often wrong. But that is not necessarily the fault of the program.

Part of the difficulty in importing MIDI is that not all MIDI is created in plain notation. A lot of it is direct from synth instruments, or it may be notation heavily edited for effects. When the MIDI is importd, the program must make a decision as to how to represent the notes and rests. If the score has many staves, and if note durations are short, then potentially the serial nature of MIDI might affect the decision. You can see how this would be especially problematic for off-fraction/2 notes, such as triplets.

In NWC, I have found that (say) a triplet of 1/8 notes is imported as 1/16-1/8-1/16. If the music is not unfamiliar to me, I look for such groupings. Then I can highlight the three notes, click the 1/8 duration button, then click the triplet button. That automatically fixes it. The fact that NWC allows independent staff editing, and allows the (interim) measure duration change without overflow across the bar line, is very helpful.

Reply #2
Alright

I just wanted to know if I could escape from surching triplets and correct them by hand.

Thanks

Paulo Galvao

Reply #3
Then I can highlight the three notes, click the 1/8 duration button, then click the triplet button.
When I highlight notes of different durations, the duration buttons become unavailable.  Doesn't this happen for you also?

Reply #4
Evan: Yes, it does as you describe. Better for me to have said: Highlight each 1/16 note (one at a time), change it to 1/8, then use the triplet button for the group.