Skip to main content
Topic: midi to mp3 (Read 3245 times) previous topic - next topic

midi to mp3

How to convert midi files directly to mp3 files without loss of quality?

Re: midi to mp3

Reply #1
Both requirements ('directly' and 'without loss of quality') are impossible to fulfill, but can be approximated. MP3 is a 'lossy' compression system, which means that you will never get exactly the same out of it as what you put in. However, it's considered good enough for most applications, especially at the higher bit rates (128K and above).

Similarly, mp3 is a way of compressing wav files, which are an actual sound recording. Your midi first has to be recorded into a wav format before it can be converted to mp3. That being said, some utilities (e.g. CoolEdit) have a "Save As..." option which let you convert to mp3 directly after recording, making it appear as if it's converting the midi directly to mp3. Internally, however, it's still recording and processing a wav file.

Reply #2
I use a mp3 ripper/jutebox called MusicMatch (http://www.musicmatch.com/)..) I provided some detailed instructions in the newgroup under the foregoing heading. I just select "system mixer" as my recording device and it seamlessly creates an mp3 out of the midi being recorded. (Another nice feature is it's automatic fade ins, fade outs and soundclip creator features).

I have not noticed any hiss or pops. The mp3's seem to come out identical in quality and sound to the midi's. (P.S. I did upgrade to full CD quality from Near CD quality. However, it does not make that much of a difference).

Reply #3
Also possible Midi>wav>mp3 through the Wave Editor that comes with Nero 5.