Skip to main content
Topic: D.S. al coda? (Read 13437 times) previous topic - next topic

D.S. al coda?

what does this term mean? I used it once before, but that was a while ago and I can't remember! sombody please help

Re: D.S. al coda?

Reply #1
It means return to the Segno, the weird sign that looks like a fancy S slashed out and with dots enclosing it, and proceed to the end of the piece.

Reply #2
While Francis is right, she is missing out one little step which may still leave Hannah a little confused.

"al coda" means play as far as the coda sign which is a little circle with a cross laid over it - sort of looks like a gunsight -  and then jump to the other gunsight which begins the final part of the music, the coda or ending.

So DS al coda means go back to the sign, play until you reach the coda sign, then jump to the ending, where you will find another gunsight, and play from there to the end of the number.

D.C. (da capo, or to the head) is similar, except instead of going back to the sign, you go to the beginning of the piece.  If it's D.C. al coda you play until you reach the coda sign, then jump to the coda.

Reply #4
Francis, this surprises me also, since the female variant is usually spelled with an "e" (Frances).

Maybe you should change your name to "Bruno." :-P

Cheers,
Fred

Reply #5
Fred, I knew you'd come through. Bruno -- no. But maybe my middle name, or maybe shorten it to Fred -- yah -- Fred Nachbaur sounds good!

Reply #6
Francis, I am sorry - the two spellings have always confused me, and I didn't even think about the matter.  My carelessness is inexcusable, please accept my apology.

Reply #7
No, It's OK. Sorry I yelled ;-) -- Now get up and spell your name with capitol letters!!

Reply #8
...spell your name with capitol letters!!

You're trying to be funny, right?
Capital letters, not capitol, for those who didn't notice.

Reply #9
man, the jokes on me. I CAN'T SPELL!!

Reply #10
the jokes on me. should read the joke's on me.

(Please forgive me, I'm a proofreader by trade.)

Reply #11
I assume that P.T.B. meant to write,

"Please forgive me; I'm a proofreader by trade."

A semicolon is used when it links complete sentences.

Reply #12
Robert, I assume that you meant to write...;-)

LOL! Everyone is finding something wrong with the next person's grammer, but I can't find anything wrong with your grammer. I HOPE this is right. I tried to be my own proofreader!!

Reply #14
ROTFL! There must be a corollary to Murphy's Law that states that a criticism of grammar or spelling must inevitably itself contain an example of such, unless it's in such a convoluted sentence that no-one can discern the proper grammatical flow anyway.

Reply #15
Mark Twain would then ask: you mean like a French sentence? Mark Twain also said "I don't give a [thing that beevers make] for a man who can't spell a word more than one way."

Reply #17
No, beevers. Butthead's pal.

Reply #18
Let's get back to the point. what does D.S. al Coda mean?

Reply #19
dal segno al coda.

go back to the sign and play until you reach the coda "gunsight" sign.  Then jump to the coda (last part of the tune).

Reply #20
At the Bank here, there is a girl named Fine. ['fee-neh] I called her Da Capo, last week. And had to explain it all. Small wonder, but even our Italian, opera-loving cashier did not get it.

Reply #21
My cousin used to have a dog that he named Coda, because she was always wagging her tail...

Reply #22
What is the name of the sign that you return to, i.e. before you replay the section of music up to the coda sign?

Reply #23
Just "sign" or "the sign" in English, or in Italian, "segno."

Reply #24
It's not Beevers.  It's Beavis;  Beavis and Butthead.

Anyway, so you start at the top of the song until you hit the "to Coda" then you play at the last Coda of the piece?

Reply #25
Or rather the little "S" sign?

Reply #26
"Dal segno" means go back TO the sign.

"Da capo means go back to the beginning/the top/ the cap.

So if you had the sign at the 12th bar of the piece, you would start at the beginning, blow past the sign and, when you reach the instruction DS al coda, jump back to the sign, and play until you reach the coda sign (looks like a gunsight). At that point, you jump to the coda, which will be marked with the same sign, and play to the end of the chart.

Reply #27
is anybody here familiar with sibelius software?
well i'm trying to bang a coda in somewhere, i've found the segno and the coda sign..just not the 'D.S al coda' bit!
does anybody know where i can find it?
thanks in advance

Reply #28
Perhaps you need to find a Sibelius forum.