Skip to main content
Topic: How do I make it to where people can download music off my site? (Read 9205 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I make it to where people can download music off my site?

I have my site started but I don't know how to make links to where my music can be downloaded.How do I get those links?

Re: How do I make it to where people can download music off my site?

Reply #1
A little off topic, but perhaps I can at least get you started.

You will need to add some html code (specificially the <a href > code) to your page or pages that link to the actual music file and then upload those revised pages (as well as the music files, of course). Example:

<a href="path and name of file">description as you would like it to appear on your web page link</a>

There are some fairly good freeware programs out there to facilitate the process. I think Netscape Composer is still available for download and has a pretty simple set of menu commands.

There are also some good books on html code. Although Frontpage and some other programs have a nice "windows like" wyswyg approach, it is helpful to know at least a bit of the background code.

Hope that helps!

Reply #2
There are some fairly good freeware programs out there to facilitate the process. I think Netscape Composer is still available for download and has a pretty simple set of menu commands.

The html Composer that ships with current versions of Netscape (V6.2.3 or V7.0pr1), as well as the Mozilla builds on which it's based (presently at V1.0) is probably the most standards-compliant WYSIWYG available today. And it's free.

Front Page is another story entirely. Some web servers even refuse to support FP "pseudo-html."

Reply #3
Composer [...] is probably the most standards-compliant WYSIWYG available today

Well, maybe its just me, but whenever I try to make a site in Composer Netscape diggs it, IE makes it look like slop.

Front Page is another story entirely. Some web servers even refuse to support FP "pseudo-html."

In FPE, at least the pages look the same in both IE and Netscape...

Reply #4
Coy
You have said elsewhere that you don't know hoe to use HTML editors and want a simpler way. It would be helpful for us if you told us what tool you were using to create your website, then perhaps you would get better focussed help.
Joy

Reply #5
Joy
I'm using geocities for my webpage.

Reply #6
Quick(?) and Dirty(!): if you don't want to use an HTM editor, use a recent Word(tm) and save as HTML.
I said Quick(?) and Dirty(!), you've been warned...

Reply #7
Geocities now seems to be owned by Yahoo.

I suspect you are going to have to use their tools (we have no experience with them, but maybe some other reads knows more of the details).

You might try starting at:

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/learn/HowItWorks4_Plus.html

or some other Yahoo starter page.

It is possible that they will not support your efforts to publish NWC files, at least in their free/low cost variants.

Reply #8
Alas, most of the replies to Coy's original question assume some prior knowledge of how web pages work. We, the users of the forum, have forgotten that there are millions of people who VIEW the internet, and who maybe have a service that allows them to put up a simple home page using a wizard.

Coyr, and others similarly situated: If you want to put up a web page that is more complicated than some simple text and a few clip-art graphics images, you will simply have to learn how to do it. Rather than ask via the Internet (equivalent to asking how to play the violin via Internet), see if you can find a neighbor who knows how, and can get you started. From there, you will simply have to learn and practice. It is not a ten-minute task!

If you are old enough and live in the USA (maybe elsewhere, I wouldn't know) there are many community colleges and school extensions that offer one-day courses in how to build a web page. In California, where I live, it costs about $20. You won't learn to do anything sophisticated, but you will learn enough so that you can buy a simple book about creating web pages, and learn by yourself.

That's how I did it. And I have advanced college degrees!

Reply #10
Personally, I would pick a different color combination, the red-on-blue is not easy to read.  It doesn't have to be black-on-white, but some combination with higher contrast would be better, IMHO of course.

Cyril

Reply #11
Yes, red-on-blue is not good for my old eyes.  I cannot resolve those two colors against each other.  Try darkening one or the other.  I'll post again after I listen to some of your pieces.

Reply #12
For the benefit of those who will read this forum thread in the distant future, and will wonder what it referred to ...

Coy's page is on Angelfire, one of those free public web hosting sites. Such sites usually have a wizard-like capability for a novice to quickly construct a simple web page (knowledgable programmers can upload via FTP).

If one has a particular goal in mind, it is not always easy to get there the first time, just by following instructions. But if what you want to do is post stuff quickly, it does the job.

Within recent memory, it was possible to learn elementary HTML coding by looking at the source for other web pages. But that is becoming difficult, especially since certain kinds of coding (such as LAYERS in Netscape 4.x) will not be supported in the future.

I agree with Cyril and David: The use of red text on blue background is hard to read, especially if the user's color perception is different.

Reply #13
I agree that red-on-blue is not a good color scheme. dark red on dark blue is atleast a little calmer. As far as HTML, I learned the good old book way -- then forgot it all after using Netscape Composer. I recommend HTML 4 for the World Wide Web, 4th Edition by Liz Castro. When I learn something new from web sites, I always check in her book and, darn it, it's always there, laughing at me for not seeing it sooner.

Reply #14
owwww..... my eyes...
nice site, but change the colors if you please.

Reply #15
Okay, so it's no longer red-on-blue, but now I can't read it at all with that background.
And did you get permission from NoteWorthy to use it?

Reply #16
Yup. Definitely illegible and probably illegal.

Reply #17
Ow. Reminds me of this which is an example of how not to write webpages... :-p

Reply #18
My eyes.. My eyes!!

Reply #19
That reminds me... some years ago, using a search engine to look up some topic or other, I was led to the web site of a high school in California. The site only had one page, evidently the project of some students in an introductory computer class.

The background was black-on white line artwork or the school. The foreground was black text. Talk about camouflage!

With monitors being various sizes, with incompatible web browsers, with competing audiovisual delivery software, and with HTML4.x and DOM standards, good web page design is becoming trickier than ever.

For more than a year, I had my own web pages up, and was satisfied with their appearance as seen on various computers. But one day, I checked them out on a Macintosh machine running OS9 and NN4.08. Surprise! Some fonts that were supposed to be 12 point (a rather standard size) were interpreted as 12 pixels (corresponding to 9 points, much too small). It was font-dependent. I re-wrote all of the pages to specify fonts by pixels size (12 points corresponding to 16 pixels). That seems to work in all situations. It has something to do with the 96/72 nominal monitor resolution interpeted by PC or Mac. If you don't know what I mean, don't ask.

One other thing: It is surely a no-no to use that "nw" logo on your website. There are many free, generic background images and textures available for download. You own computer might actually have some of them in a folder somewhere you haven't looked.

Reply #20
Robert, WFIW in that HTML book I cited in reply 13, the author says 15 px --> 12 pt

Reply #21
F.B.: It may very well be the case that 15 > 12 as you noted. But I observed that the nominal DPI of some systems may be 96 or 72 (ratio 4:3) so I applied the same ratio to the font size. Having achieved a useful effect the first time, I did not further experiment (or use a reference) to see if something else would work better.

Reply #22
RE the Angelfire site -- Coy's site isn't free, probably, if he's able to upload and publish .ncw files.  I don't think any of the 'freebie' sites will allow those.

Geocities (Yahoo/Geocities) is great, I think, though in the past I did have a few problems using it...

I have free pages there, shall upgrade when I find someone with a credit card I can borrow....or, if they start using YahooDirect for payments.

HOWEVER -- if you're using free pages and you can make zip files out of the .nwc files, THOSE seem to work okay.

Mind you, I'm a computer...experimenter!

New to Noteworthy, too.