Skip to main content
Topic: NWC browser plug-in (Read 4812 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC browser plug-in

Just in case you hadn't already noticed --- There's a free browser plug-in for NWC. Go to the main page to find it.

Re: NWC browser plug-in

Reply #1
Note however that this is still officially a "beta", which is perhaps why its existence hasn't been broadly publicised... :)

Reply #2
I found it, I downloaded it, I installed it, it WORKS!
Hey guys, it's that simple. Thanx for another great mod.

Reply #3
It works better than I had imagined. Looks great. Display and plays. Incidentally, it is also a good way to create a web image of a portion of music: Create it in NWC, open it in the web browser (where the software automatically creates a screen-optimized image), capture the screen image, put it into an imaging program, crop, save as GIF.

Of course, all that is unneccessary, since the browser plug-in will show and play your entire composition!

Reply #4
Agreed. I'm not normally a big fan of plug-ins, since many of them are "cripple-ware", and I prefer to launch the (external) standalone program in such cases.

However, the NWC plug-in actually has functionality over and above the comparable standalone program (NW Player). Gorgeous piece of work! If I dare say, it makes the Scorch plug-in look almost amateurish by comparison.

(btw - I got a real kick out of the error message when the "pull the rug out" bug in Netscape 6 does its number!) Interesting also that Noteworthy Software found a way to hook into this (by launching Notepad) when even Netscape's own "Quality Feedback Agent" is oblivious to it.

Reply #5
Thanks for noticing this Fred. Although, technically, the problem in Netscape 6 is not what is detected by the NWC plug-in, it is a close approximation of when the problem occurs. The trick of opening NOTEPAD with the error text was born out of necessity. There was no other way, at the time the error scenario was developing (from the plug-in's perspective), to present an error message to the user.

Reply #6
Is there a way to get the plugin to start playing the music immediately on opening the page?

What I have in mind is putting the Wild West musical we have just finished performing onto our web site so that others can see if they would like to perform it too (in our very humble opinion it was a corker!).

This would start with the Overture playing in the plugin (and automatically looping?), while viwers could read the preamble. Then they could scroll through the text and the plugin would pop up every time the viewer came to a page with a song on it (the big advantage of this over a midi file being that the lyrics scroll in time to the music).

But an automatic start to each song would/could be useful.

Peter

Reply #7
Agreed. I just tried to see if the [autostart="true"] specifier (not sure if that's the right term) works as it does for most midi plugins -- no go. Another one that might be convenient would be [loop="true"].

Reply #8
Gee, such a great plug-in, and we want more???

Work-arounds for those who know how to code web pages:

(1) Have both a MIDI and NWC version. It's easy enough to get the MIDI to autostart while the user takes a moment to read the static information presented by the visual NWC. You will have to ensure that the MIDI switches off before the NWC activates.

(2) Insert a GIF message (animated with colors) saying something like "WOW! You can hear and see my composition! Click the start icon |> shown below!"

Reply #9
The value of this feature to me is to make it easy for non-NWC users to view a file on a web page. But to be easy, the plugin should install with one or two clicks, with no hunting around for anything. That part is not quite there, but its still in beta, so I am hoping.

Reply #10
The approach to installing the plug-in is essentially complete. When you say "hunting around" in your question, to what are you referring?

Reply #11
Yes, we're a funny bunch aren't we. Give us an inch, we'll ask for a mile. It does, however, indicate how strongly we collectively feel about NWC; I suspect that NoteWorthy Software would get quite worried if we stopped complaining. :)

Reply #12
When I click on the icon I get sent to browser plugin page at http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/plugin.htm Then I have to "hunt around" (ie. read) until I find "I understand the rules of beta 9a" and click on that. I would hope that when users click on the icon they would be taken directly to the download, where they have the option to install with a single click.

Reply #13
We are adding support for the autostart="true" specifier in the final (non-beta) release. We are not going to support a looping option, at least for now.

Reply #14
At javascript popup windows, autostart function is not available. Is it normal?

Thanks.