Skip to main content
Topic: Staff size (Read 2411 times) previous topic - next topic

Staff size

I understand the staff points, but say I have a song that at 18 pt size, it fills up a page and one staff line of page 2, but at 17pt, it fills up 3/4 of a page.  Is there a way to make it perfectly fill one page?  I have a lot of music that only fills up a partial page, and would like it to perfectly fit on one page.

Re: Staff size

Reply #1
Well, you can:
  • change the margins (not what you want I think)
  • or play with the vertical "up" and "down" values around the staff (staves)
  • or play with the staff size (points)
  • or force some bar lines to "break", making NWC expand some lines, thus making the final measure lower.
For instance you can ask NWC to "force system break" on the 3rd bar, when it wants to break the line only at the 5th bar "naturally", thus adding 2 measures that will go to the next line, and so on.

For better results, play with "force system break" after you decided the margins, staff size and staff spacing. And do it from the left(beginning) to right(the end), not from the end, unless one system break would be enough.

If you want the last staff to take the whole width, and there is more than one measure in it, you may add an extra forced bar line, hidden.

To "force" the bar to break, select it, open its properties (Alt+Enter or Ctrl+E), and in the "Bar line" tab, check in the _F_orceSystemBreak checkbox.
Be sure to do this on the upmost staff (Ctrl+Home will get you there).
Check the results in the Preview each time you modify a barline (Alt,F,V, Escape to close it).
That's what I did in my sample file, https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2399.msg13299#msg13299 (but I didn't added the last extra section close bar with ForceSystemBreak checked, which would enlarge correctly the last staffline. Feel free to try it yourself :)

HopeThisHelps!

Re: Staff size

Reply #2
Thanks!