Skip to main content
Topic: Terminology (Read 16969 times) previous topic - next topic

Terminology

Can you verify something for me?  I know that rit. (ritenuto) means the tempo gets progressively slower (more so than ritardando).  I came across the phrase "molto rit." and looked up molto in my favorite musical dictionary at http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/ and it says it means "very".  Does this mean the tempo quickly gets slow (less gradual than usual) or gradually gets really slow?

And while I'm at it, most terminology dictionaries that I've seen online indicate that the abbreviation for "ritenuto" is "riten." and the abbreviation for "ritardando" is either "rit." or "ritard."  Why does NWC use "rit." as an abbreviation for "ritenuto" instead of "riten."?  Which is really correct?

Thanks for the input!
Kevin

Re: Terminology

Reply #1
In this case, "molto" means that the difference in tempo is greater than it would be without it, though they may take the same amount of time to achieve the change.
[a possible example]
q=120 ------> q=102 (no "molto")
q=120 ------> q=84 (w/"molto")

Reply #2
rit. is perfectly acceptable as an abbreviation for both. And it is difficult to make a distinction between them in playing effect (or with rall. for that matter).

Reply #3
If what I feel is correct, ritenuto is linked to 'retain'. So it means literally 'held back'. See it another way: tenuto = held, ri-tenuto = hold it right there!

Ritardando is linked 'retard' , the French for delay (nous sommes en retard = we are late), so it means delayed or delaying. There is a third one: rall, or rallantando. It all does basically the same - slow down at a linear rate. Molto bene = very good, molto ritenuto = hold your horses.

Reply #4
can some one tell me what rit. e dim. means???

Reply #5
if ritardando means slowing down gradually and dimenuendo means slowin down then what does the e stand for???

Reply #6
The "e" stands for "and" ("e" is Italian for "and").

Reply #7
"diminuendo" means getting quieter, not slower. So "rit. e dim." means slowing down and getting quieter at the same time.