Skip to main content
Topic: Cues (Read 15737 times) previous topic - next topic

Cues

When using an inkjet black printer, cues can be made by using a color other than black for the desired passage. The result is a light gray which is easily recognized as a cue, particularly when the name of the instrument actually playing is inserted. Use staff layering to show the rests. Set layered staff color the same as the cue notes to get beams to match the notes

Light blue (highlight 5) works best work with a laser printer.
This no longer works with my laser printer.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Re: Cues

Reply #1
To write cue notes, you can place them in a second, to be layered, staff.  For instance, enter 4 quarter notes, make their properties invisible and muted.  Then enter a grace note before each one, and presto!, you have cues.

(Sorry to be adding this so late.  I posted it months ago in the forum; Lawrie saw it today and suggested it belonged in Tips and Tricks)

Reply #2
Is it possible to beam eighth notes etc. this way? I couldn't figure out how to do it, which is why I proposed my alternate solution.

Carl
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
G'day Carl,
Is it possible to beam eighth notes etc. this way? I couldn't figure out how to do it, which is why I proposed my alternate solution.

Carl

Yes, provided all the grace notes are adjacent to each other I.E. no other notes between them.

While I haven't tested it, I imagine you could put text spaces with preserve width on between them to make them space the way you want.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
But not if you have intervening ordinary notes on any of the other staves.