Skip to main content
Topic: New forum format (Read 3351 times) previous topic - next topic

New forum format

I really like the new forum format, with possible sort by date of either first message or last message. I also like very much all the options for bold, italic or bold italic text, and above all the bulleted or numbered lists.

I would like to make a new proposal: the ability to use !link(url) as a shorthand for !link(name=url) when name and url are the same.

As an example, typing !link(/nwcforum/linkhelp.htm) would give the same result as !link(/nwcforum/linkhelp.htm=/nwcforum/linkhelp.htm), i.e. http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwcforum/linkhelp.htm. Of course, this would only work for urls without any "=".

Re: New forum format

Reply #1
      New New forum format indeed !
Good suggestions you make Olivier, though I'm not completely used to the new options :)
What I'd like is a kind of <TT> or <PRE> function, to allow us some ASCII art (which can be useful to draw a score for example, such as in my signature :-)
I just noticed that the number of the thread is shown (banged) on the top right corner, I don't know since when...
It seems that each day brings a bag of innovations!

Reply #2
Just after I submitted my "New forum format" message, I saw that someone gave a response to a "New Forum Format" message...

I second your demand for a fixed-font preformatted feature. Maybe it could be:

!start(fixed)
... some ascii-art
!end

Reply #3
We will think about these, but it is our intent to make pages have a consistent look to them.

Reply #4
The problem with this providing a !link(url) is that URLs can contain equal signs (=), which would make it impossible to discern the user's intent.

There are several new format constructs now available:

• !b(text),!i(text),!bi(text)
    These are shorter variants of the bold and italic format instruction.

• !scripto(name=/path)
    Used to link into the scripto, starting at the NWC root path. For example, !scripto(new at the scripto=/newstuff.html) is automatically made into the correct scripto link: new at the scripto

• !usertip(nnn)
    Adds a link to a user tip in the NoteWorthy Composer User Tips area

• !nwcforum(nnn)
    Another way to link to a NWC forum message. This way is preferred, as it will work in other dynamic author areas around the site.

Reply #5
NoteWorthy Online wrote:
<<The problem with this providing a !link(url) is that URLs can contain equal signs (=), which would make it impossible to discern the user's intent.>>

I agree, and that is why I added:
<<Of course, this would only work for urls without any "=".>>

P.S.: The !!- construct is very useful. Why isn't it described in the "Hints" ?

Reply #6
We just forgot about the !!- construct.

Ammendment on the scripto link:
The scripto link is intended to create a virtual place called the Scripto, which has web resources to which you can link. This virtual place now has a virtual "cgi-bin" which you can call directly, without specifying the /nwc/ component. If you want to link to a specific file, such as Fred's Frog Song, you can do so by scripto linking into this imaginary cgi-bin, as follows:

!scripto(Frog Song=/cgi-bin/txt2html.cgi?src=rock/frogsong.txt)

will show up as

Frog Song