Skip to main content
Topic: Spliting Staffs (Read 4624 times) previous topic - next topic

Spliting Staffs

I feel like a moron, but I am a new user and I have played with it for hours.  I am done with one grand staff, treble and bass.  Now I want to add another.  However when I add another staff, all the staffs play together.  How do I seperate the two or more grand staffs so when it finishes with one line it moves to the next?

Re: Spliting Staffs

Reply #1
NWC is not a WYSIWYG editor. Your question seems to imply that you think each staff should play one at a time. Look at the samples to see how to construct a song in NWC.

Reply #2
Ok, by looking at the samples, I see what you mean.  Thanks for the clarification on that.

Reply #3
i still don't understand. i only have 1 sample and it is for 4 staffs combined. i want what he wanted.

Reply #4
In the editor, NWC provides you with a view of the music that some people find confusing at first.  Instead of breaking every so often to return to the left margin as in printed music, in NWC each individual staff continues unbroken for the whole length of the song.  The effect is of an infinitely wide piece of score paper where all the music for a given voice or instrument fits into a single staff.

In this type of view, adding a staff means there's a new voice or instrument sounding at the same time as the pre-existing staves; it does not mean a continuation of the music on the pre-existing staves.

You don't actually get the standard score view of the music until you print it or perform a Print Preview, at which point NWC breaks the staves at the page margin the way you're used to.

Reply #5
thank you, that makes complete sense!