Skip to main content
Topic: Windows XP Bug (Read 5129 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows XP Bug

I have discovered a small bug with NoteWorthy Composer in Windows XP. If you make a staff active and then click on another staff, the staff you left will appear sort of bold and grainy. Refresh takes care of it and it is really not that important, but I thought I'd mention it. A quick web site of what I mean is at http://fb.20m.com/nwc.htm

Re: Windows XP Bug

Reply #1
This is a function of your display adapter, its driver, and the settings that you are using. NWC simply redraws the screen. Sometimes a display driver or its options cause the different staff colors to be rendered differently on the display, so when the redraw is done it looks different. This is not the fault of NWC. If you cannot get your display system to render different colors the same way, you can always use the F9 key to work around it in NWC.

You could also try to resolve the problem. If you open (from Windows) Start | Settings | Control Panel | Display, you can view the Settings tab, which might have options which will make your display render all colors the same (either through acceleration changes, or other options).

Reply #2
btw, on my office computer (compaq deskpro p3, ati rage 3d pro 4Mb, NT4 SP4) I notice recently that each note redrawn in black after red-highlighting during playback (assuming standard colors) remains a bit blur (as if some red remains on the "contour" of the noteshape).
This disappears when I ask the system not to optimize anything.
Clearly a driver specificity.
And I won't discuss about XP driver quality. Too much to say about that.

Reply #3
Video drivers seems to be the biggest single issue when "upgrading" to new versions of Windows. The trick of reducing hardware acceleration does help in many instances, usually without any noticable slowing of video operations.

I've (finally) managed to get The Gimp working on my ATI Rage, simply by reducing hardware acceleration to the bare-minimum setting.

Fred

Reply #4
Marsu, the blur happens for me too. None of this happens at 16 colors, 480 X 640, but who wants to use that? Oh, well, I'll just have to live with it...

Reply #5
480 x 640 ? You got a Radius (tm) Vertical screen ??

more seriously, I think it's not linked to the video resolution nor color depth, but to "acceleration settings".

"but who wants to use that ?" I did for many years, and still do sometimes. Even 320x200x4 :)

"but who wants to use that ?" At first I thought you wanted to talk about XP ;P

Hopefully NWC runs correctly on EVERY Windows system.
When I got the time, I'll retry Window 3.11 under Blue Label on a PowerBook (mac), but I expect it to NWC.

It's surprising how it is possible to make software more reliable than the OS they're running on.

What a chance, btw :)

Reply #6
Well, not EVERY Windows system. I've got an old 386 (name of processor, not speed) that can't run it. But that's only because it runs out of (non upgradeable) memory :-). As for 480 by 640, I never did figure out which was first: x or y ;-)

Reply #7
I think i have the same problrm too. but a bit different.

You can see the staff like from the firs 5 bars or so and than it goes blank so i only see the notes on a white backround. what shouldi do?

Thank You