Skip to main content
Topic: SoundBlaster Live (Read 7298 times) previous topic - next topic

SoundBlaster Live

I'm sure that this has probably been covered at some time in the forum, however, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Having just installed a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card I find that most of theh instruments are now 'brassy' sounding. Can anyone out there tell me (step by step please) how to go about installing sound fonts and using them in NWC? I have several fonts downloaded, but cant seem to find the magic spell to use them in NWC.

Thanx,
The Hankster

Re: SoundBlaster Live

Reply #1
First of all, you should be using the correct MIDI port with NWC. Go to Tools > Options > MIDI; remove anything on the right panel by double-clicking; now again by double clicking, add the following devices from the left panel in this order:

A: SB Live! MIDI Synth
B: SB Live! MIDI Synth
Creative S/W Synth

If you want your external midi players (Winamp, Vanbasco, WMP, Noteworthy Player etc.) use the sound font enabled device, too, then run Control Panel > Multimedia > MIDI and select A: SB Live! MIDI Synth as the preferred device.

Now, let's find some soundfonts and use them.

Instead of loading singular instruments, I recommend installing a full set such as General User GS which I use. Let's install it together as an example:

Run the Soundfont applet, which lies on your Creative Launcher > Audio HQ or Start > Programs > Creative > SB Live! > Audio HQ. The 4 MB EMU sf set must have been already installed there. Select it and click "Replace..." Locate the GUGS set on your HD (it should have been unpacked) and load it. Before that, don't forget to increase your "static caching" to -say- 35 MB. Now, you have installed a full set of GM/GS instruments using several "banks".

Let's suppose that you don't like one or more instruments from GUGS (I don't). Say, you found a better solo viola than that included with it (I did!). You can replace one or more instruments within a set. Let's go to "Configure Instrument" tab. From "select instrument" dropdown list find Viola. Click "Load" and locate your new Viola on our HD. Viola! You have replaced a single instrument within a set.

Let's go further and install the wonderful Jeux Organ soundfont set. We need to find an appropriate (empty) bank to load it. Go to "Configure bank" tab; find and "Empty" bank in "Select Bank" dropdown list and click it. Now "load" your Jeux following the same procedure you've done twice so far.

What about acessing Jeux from NWC?

From "Staff Properties > Instrument" or "Insert > Instrument", click "Controller 0" and set its value to the bank number you have just installed Jeux. (In my case, it's 41.) Now, set the patch list to either 0 based or Jeux if you already manipulated nwcpatch.ini as required. So that you can select your desired instrument.

I hope the examples make it clearer. If requested, I can supply screenshots, as well.

Hth,
Ertugrul

Reply #2
Thanx much, I'm a-gonna try it, wish me luck.

Reply #3
Ertugrul,

Very nice, easy-to-understand presentation. Since Sound Fonts come up so much, I wonder if it would be useful to send your comments as a "user tip" (under a new category "soundfonts?") so it will be readily available to NWC users?

Reply #4
By George I think I've GOT IT!!

I loaded the GUGS set and I can actually change the sounds of the individual instruments by changing the individual sound fonts!!

Thanx so much Ertugrul! Your step by (baby) step approach was just what I needed. (grin). Nice to know that there are still some knowledgeable people out there that don't mind sharing that knowledge.

Thanx again to everyone for the help (NWC users are the best!)

The Hankster

Reply #5
I'm very glad to have helped.

User tip is a really good idea indeed. Can we add screenshots to them?

Reply #6
...btw, S. Christian Collins has just upgraded GUGS to v.1.35.

Reply #7
>screenshots

To whome are you addressing this question?

Reply #8
Just one more question please, please, pretty please?
Now that I have my fonts working and change to say the Roland listing for my instrument choices, then save the NWC file, when I reopen the file everything is back to 'general MIDI' list. Is there any way to have NWC save the instrument list setting as well as the instruments?

Thanx in advance,
The Hankster

Reply #9
A good speaker is a good speaker, especially if it's connected to a decent stereo. (Hint...)

Some of the small speakers can sound quite good, but simply don't have the bass capability of even moderately-priced floor-standing speakers.

My computer connects to a home-built tube (valve) amplifier, which feeds a pair of massive speakers. Overkill? Yeah, probably. But it sounds terrific! ;-)

Fred

Reply #10
I recently bought a new computer with SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1 (YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!), damm that's a good one, have heard it already in a showcase computer at a store and didn't manage to see what were it's speakers.
The computer was sold and isn't at the store anymore. I wanted to know then which one is a good speaker to go with this amazing sound card. Please don't mention the ones SoundBlaster does, they are too expensive, being more expensive then the card itself.
Any ideas?