Skip to main content
Topic: Crystal Soundfusion Sound Card Problem? (Read 82410 times) previous topic - next topic

Crystal Soundfusion Sound Card Problem?

My problem is the following: I’ve used for year this environment to enjoy myself and friends playing MIDI files:

THE PAST:
PC Pentium 133, 32 MB RAM
Sound Blaster AWE 32 ISA
Windows 98
A MIDI cable rightly connected to the game port of the AWE and to…
…a Roland E66 Keyboard. Noteworthy or simply things such as VanBAsco Karaoke player just to send output fm PC to my Roland…
(I know how to connect the MIDI cable :-) ...I remember years ago that I discovered that I had to plug MIDI OUT din6 connector of the cable to the MIDI IN port of the Keyboard and vice versa ... :-))

OK, THE PRESENT

now I’ve just set up this:

HP Kayak XU 800 PIII 600, 128 MB RAM
Crystal Soundfusion integraded audio
Windows XP
...the same cable, the same Keboard

BUT THE ONLY THING I CAN HEAR WHEN I PLAY MIDI ARE SOUNDS FROM PC SPEAKERS.....

I’ve tried everything....to set up Crystal properties to play MIDI through SoundFusion GS port, External MIDI....really any possible choice of set up in Control Panel and so on...

Some sounds come out from Keayboard speakers but are NON-SENSE sounds, with different midi instruments, how if signaling from PC to Roland is „confused...dirty...“ and they are some sound every maybe 10, maybe 25 maybe 5 seconds....ding, dand...., driin, pow, pow....slash!!

I’ VE ALSO TRIED TO SET UP WIN98 AGAIN BUT RESULTS ARE THE SAME SO I SUSPECT THAT IS SOMETHING RELATED TO THE SOUND CARD THAT ANYWAY IT WORKS FINE FOR OTHER PURPOSES...I.E. THE GAME PORT SUPPORTS WELL A JOYSTICK..

I read of this MIDI debug, where I could found it? Or if you have some idea? Some address to suggest me?...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ANSWER YOU COULD GIVE ME…

Re: Crystal Soundfusion Sound Card Problem?

Reply #1
By "same cable" I assume you mean a cable that connects from a sound card's joystick port and terminates in a MIDI IN and MIDI OUT connector.

You then say: "Some sounds come out from Keayboard speakers but are NON-SENSE sounds"

This would tend to indicate a buggy external MIDI driver, but could also indicate a more serious fault in the joystick port hardware. Sometimes, cables connected incorrectly can also cause this.

Reply #2
Another XP victim?

I'm not sure this is the proper page, but have a look at : http://www.clubic.com/m/pilotes/1227.html (sorry, clubic.com is in french, but this page is in english :)
Also http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph07512.html , theoritically for HP Pavilion PCS, but you may find somewhere interesting.
the HP help center ( http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/ccsearch/start ) may be a good start.

HTH!

Reply #3
at the HP help center, enter "hp kayak xu800" as "product :)

Reply #4
Thanx everybody for answers. I think your suggestions will be useful. Anyway is not a cable problem (used up the day before :-))...I've also suspected a fault in HW but I don't explain myself on how is possible that joystick works fine...probably is something related to a bug in drivers!!
I don't think is related to XP at all but probably the Crystal drivers are somewhere bugged.
I'll continue to investigate up to the day that I'll buy a 25$ PCI SoundBlaster IRQ programmable!!!! with the always working IO 220/330, IRQ5, DMA1 and 5!!!! (playing Roland and DOOM III on XP? why not?!

Anyway I'll accept other suggestions...

Reply #5
just FYI…

I’ve installed a Creative Soundblaster PCI 128…

EVERYTHING WORKS! As I suspected so considerations are:

Microsoft: they LIE when on their knowledgebase saying that „old“ analogic joistick are not supported on XP (the „not connected“ problem) because with SB I was able to see and connect than use my“old“ Sidewinder Precision Pro on the SB game port.

HP: they LIE giving responsibility of problems on their PC with Crystal board to XP issues...problems are related to Crystal or maybe to its drivers...

Now I can play, everything, Roland and videogames...
So, to all guys who want to connect their PC to MIDI devices: DO NOT BUY Crystal or other "blaster compatible" boards. Take an Original SB....

Best Regards,

Reply #6
The card is not detected.

Reply #7
In that case, the most likely problem is that it isn't seated properly.  I've had problems like that on several occasions.  Try pushing the card down firmly (not too firmly!), and see if it goes in any more.  They can be quite stubborn.

Robin

Reply #8
Installed Crystal SoundFusion card in new Dell (bought card from Dell). When I powered up system recognized new hardware and installed SoundFusion drivers. However, no sound. Go to System devices and it says card is not working correctly. Email Dell support they were zero help, kept telling me to re-install card and drivers, did that 5 times. Obviously after reading this web page Crystal SoundFusion is not very good.

Reply #9
Hi there.
Does anyone knows of the crystal card is
full duplex? i dont think so because everytime i try to play and record at the same time a bad message comes on my screen.
i did have a pci 128 sb working along side it but after
a format and rebuilding of my hd it wont work again.
can anyone help me?
greetings from holland

Reply #10
I have a PC World Microstar pc with a Crystal Soundfusion Onboard chip - I changed this to a Hercules Fortissimo 2 audi card which supports 5.2,, multiple speakers etc. I set the on board audio chip disable flag on the bios.
About every 4 boots, the Hercules dissapears and the New Hardware wizard finds the Crystal chip !!  I'm running Win2000 Pro (not the crap XP that came with the machine)

Any thoughts?

Reply #11
You probably have a BIOS option to disable the motherboard's built-in sound. Make sure you do this. If this does not work, you might check for a newer version of your BIOS, but only do this if you know what you are doing. If you make a mistake when flashing your BIOS, you could render your PC useless.

Reply #12
I try to install the program of the IBM Via Voice Milenium, but before beginning with the microphone configuration he/she closes the program. When happening this he/she sends the message that something walks bad with the device controller of audio (Criystal Sonudfusion).

Reply #13
I had to format my harddrive and reinstall Win98SE. But I cannot get the Crystal Soundfusion (PCI) integraded audio installed. I don't have the installation CD for it.

Don't know what to do.

Reply #14
I installed Win XP...suddenly my sound messed up...I use Crystal Soundfusion in Win 98,,,but now suddenly Fusion WDM is on my system...?????

Reply #15
The best solution for the Crysal Soundfusion problem is to rip out the card, smash it to bits, and set those bits on fire. While this card will work ok occasionally, save yourself the hassle and go get a cheap soundblaster of any sort.

Reply #16
thanks that was the best tip of them all

Reply #17
I recently installed a Crystal SoundFusion PCI sound card and it seems to work fine. I did have trouble with the driver installation screwing up, and needed to do it 3 times before the sound card properly worked.

Another strange thing is that I've been getting a weird DOS-type screen (black screen / white letters) mentioning something about the Crystal SoundFusion card during each boot up. Shows up for about 10 seconds, then goes on to the desktop screen as normal. Weird?!? Also, been getting weird "Parity Check 2" messages when I try to restart in DOS-mode.

All this weird crap started happening IMMEDIATELY after installing the Crystal SoundFusion card and driver. Prior to that, my system worked totally fine. Next time I'm buying a better sound card =\

Reply #18
Same problem  sound card Crystal aint fond in harware butt my pc is a lapptop HP ze4414  so i cat ripp it out to bad