Skip to main content
Topic: SPDIF-in quit on SoundBlaster Live platinum 5.1 (Read 2467 times) previous topic - next topic

SPDIF-in quit on SoundBlaster Live platinum 5.1

I have 2 computers exactly the same. Coppermine 933's w/ 256mb ram and 60GB HD both with SoundBlaster Live platinum 5.1. We record via TASCAM DA-P1 DAT recorder and then transfer it @ 44.1k to HD via SPDIF cable. 2 weeks ago the SPDIF-in just quit on machine 1. Today the same happened to machine 2! SPDIF-out and all other functions of sound card seem to be working fine. Any idea what is going on?

Re: SPDIF-in quit on SoundBlaster Live platinum 5.1

Reply #1
No idea at all, but I think you should ask this to a forum related to Tascam or SoundBlaster, rather than this one.

Did you check to spdif-out of the tascam recorder? it may be the problem.

However, if you often plug/unplug the cable from your spdif-in PCs, then you may have damaged the plug itself. It happened a lot with the first DAT video recorders.

You may also check the software (was it a full-functional version or was it a temporary version that may have "died"?)

Hope this helps!

Reply #2
Marsu-

What a completely unhelpful and anal response; suggesting that he take his problem elsewhere.

It is UNLIKELY that there is a problem with the Tascam SPDIF.  I have this same problem with my Soundblaster card.  Essentially, the SPDIF input and associated software for the Soundblaster live are junk.  Your best bet is to get a semi-pro type digital audio card like an Audiomedia cad from digdesign.

Reply #3
Addressing "jbebop": Given that marsu is one of the most helpful people on this forum I think your comments are rather out of line.  If you have anything helpful to say, say it, otherwise please refrain from unpleasant criticism of others.

As to the SB line, I don't know the Platinum, but certainly on the SB Live! whatever you feed into the S/PDIF input is resampled to 48k, even if the input is already 48k.  If you are trying to get 44.1k .wav files you are having your input resampled twice, once to the native 48k of the card, then back to 44.1k to create the wave file.

I'm using a M-Audio DiO 2448 which is a reasonably priced pure digital input card, with both digital and analogue output.  It doesn't support MIDI, but that's not what you want.  It coexists with the SB Live! card.  The only glitch I had (I'm running Win98SE) was that the CMOS setting for resource allocation (I hope I have that right) had to be changed from the usual "automatic" to "manual".  I don't know if this would be true on another OS.

I ordered the 2448 from B&H photo, in Manhattan.  They have an 800 order line, 800 947-9950, and a web-site, http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/.  They were less expensive than Sam Ash.

Cyril