Skip to main content
Topic: midi (Read 2627 times) previous topic - next topic

midi

I've recently bought a Roland Midi Keyboard controller and have connected it via a breakout cable to the joystick port. I can't seem to get the computer to recognise its presence (all the sequencing software I have been using says that there is "No Midi IN available). I have tried "enabling the joystick port" but no success. Is there any simple way of getting the computer to recognise the keyboard?.
Ewan

Re: midi

Reply #1
Have you tried reversing the midi IN and OUT cables? Usually, the cable marked midi IN has to go to your keyboard's midi OUT, and vice versa. But not always...

You can't hurt anything by hooking them up wrong, so it's worth a try.

The other thing is to be sure that your midi-in device is selected. In NoteWorthy Composer, this is in Tools -> Options -> Record. There's a pulldown box for Input Device, clicking it should show as one of the options (or perhaps the only one) something like "Brand X MPU Midi In" or "External Midi In".

HTH
Fred

Reply #2
You say you've tried enabling the joystick port. How about enabling the MIDI port? I had an old, non-plug'n'play sound card that had jumpers for the joystick and the MPU-401 (i.e. MIDI) port, and by default, the MIDI port was disabled, 'cos the manufacturer assumed that most people would only want the joystick (probably correctly, but why disable it when you can have both at once?) The point is, although they use the same physical port, they use different internal configurations.

BTW, I never got that card to work for MIDI input - only output. I recommend buying a new (or newish) card, if you have a really old one (and if you had to enable the joystick, it sounds like it is). Also, make sure you've got all the software drivers installed - I never got a sound card's MIDI port to work out of the box (and I've had a few) with the standard Windows drivers.

Robin

Reply #3
You need to install the External MIDI driver for your sound card's joystick port. If you are unable to do this, then perhaps your joystick port does not support MIDI functions.