Skip to main content
Topic: OT: VQF.com down (Read 2471 times) previous topic - next topic

OT: VQF.com down

"VQF.com is now shut down. The VQF format is now out-of-date. We feel it is negligent to continue representing the format as a "cutting edge" one when it is no longer such. This site may reopen with the release of 192kbps VQF. Until that point, however, it will remain closed."

http://www.vqf.com

What do you think? Have Yamaha stopped suppoting the format, which unfortunately but aparently failed to challenge mp3?

---
Decode address to email.

Re: OT: VQF.com down

Reply #1
Well, this is bad news.
For VQF (or SoundVQ) IS *much*more* better than MP3.
Really; and it's particularly audible on "plain chant" or solo voices.
I'll keep on saving my own CDs in VQF format, though (I usually put 15 to 18 CDs on one, with better quality than MP3 for a smaller bitrate.). But in any case, REAL CD quality is (yet) the best, and I listen to my VQFs only in "bad audio conditions": on my PC, and when I can, in my car or bus or subway... I hope a friend of mine will be able to "hardcode" VQF player as it was made for MP3.
However it's the best format when you want to send a piece of music to someone else, letting him/her know if the CD is worth buying.

It seems that it happened to VQF the same as V2000 (VCR format with stereo, good image even at slow motion or paused, "recto-verso" tapes) against VHS (mono, unreadable image when paused, tape with one side only but a huge library behind). Commercial reasons made it fail, though it was better technically (though you can protect against piracy much more efficiently with VQF than MP3!! )

LiquidAudio may be a reason, too. It's better than MP3, and music companies promote it... (probably because Yamaha wanted royalties on their SoundVQ format!)

MP3 is definitely bad.
If you find it good enough, then you don't need CD quality!!! and an old Adlib16 should be pleasant to your ears...

Musically yours,
Dominique VQF user.