Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Quality (Read 4724 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Quality

Thank you Cyril

It is pretty clear that I shall have to get a new sound card. I have looked at the spec for SoundBlaster Gold and this seems a good option. I am not looking for accoustical wizardry, all I want to do is replicate the sounds of orchestral instruments.

Leonard

Re: Sound Quality

Reply #1
Leonard said <<<I have looked at the spec for SoundBlaster Gold and this seems a good option. >>>

Don't just look at specs, though. Go to a supplier and HEAR what it sounds like.

You may find it worthwhile looking at external midi boxes, too (these can also be driven from a midi keyboard, but again please check that it works as expected before buying). Don't forget that you'll need to get a cable adapter for it. Ask them to throw one in for free.

A

Reply #2
When I was about to buy my sound-card I was fortunate enough to get a Cd-ROM included with a computer magazine. It contained samples of the same midi-files played on 12 different sound-cards. The absolutely best quality came from a Roland SoundCanvas - absolutely no background noice, but the price was 5 times higher than I could afford. I settled for the - in my ears - second best: Soundblaster AWE32. The Soundblaster AWE64 Gold is a much more sophisticated card than the AWE32 so I think you are on the right track there. The important thing is to avoid the cards that are improperly shielded from the computers oscillating crystals. These can make the cards sound as if there is a slow breeze blowing through the speakers. If you choose a card with Wave-effects synthesis you will get instruments that are recorded from the playing of actual instruments, - like the old Mellotrone - but with proper attack, reverb, sustain and all the other parameters. I hope you find your ideal sound-card; listen around...

Jan Hjelm

Reply #3
I recommend purchasing an actual orchestra. I bought one for $89.99 at a bargain warehouse and they live in the basement. You have to feed them twice a day (unfortunately), but their sound quality far exceeds that of a sound card.

Good luck,

Steven Stewart http://www.dunraven.com/~brandx/