Skip to main content
Topic: New Playback Instruments (Read 2548 times) previous topic - next topic

New Playback Instruments

Is there a way to get new playback instruments? Like, after importing a midi, is there a way you can save the instrument that file used for a particular staff?

Re: New Playback Instruments

Reply #1
The instrument patch is part of the midi file and is automatically saved in both the midi and in the nwc file when you save it. You don't have to do anything.

Reply #2
That's true up to a point, but all that's saved is a number. What instrument that number represents is down to convention. Since the General Midi convention was introduced, there's a pretty good chance your midi or nwc song will sound the same on all PCs and most modern keyboards, but my old Yamaha PSS-780 isn't GM, so if I use it as a playback instrument, things can sound pretty weird, particularly since the percussion channel is channel 16, not channel 10 as in GM.

Robin

Reply #3
Sorry, I got side-tracked there, and forgot my point, which was that although GM instruments are standard, the quality can vary, depending on the sound card, and whether or not it supports sound fonts (there are plenty of threads in the forum on sound fonts). If you're looking to use special effects, for example, these are not all standard, so if you "roll your own" sound fonts, or use someone else's, a third party will not get the effect you intended.

Robin

Reply #4
thanks, I'm kinda a newbie to stuff like this.