Skip to main content
Topic: Weird notation--Is there a representation in NWC? (Read 7123 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird notation--Is there a representation in NWC?

I have an odd configuration of notes in a score that I am attempting to enter in NWC. This is from the Fitzwilliam Virganal Book, a hotbed of hard to do stuff! In this instance, there are two voices in a staff, which I have been splitting between two staffs. (I would rather keep everything as written, but some things are impossible to do. I would like to retain as much of the original structure as possible, though.)

Anyway--one voice has four 1/2 notes, while the other has six 1/2 notes, grouped into two triplets. The problem is that the fifth of the six notes in the second voice (the middle note of the second triplet) is tied to the last note in the second voice. Obviously, when I split the voices I can't tie between staffs. But if I try to combine them the triplets "eat" the notes of the first voice. In fact, because of the structure, this seems to be one of the things one CAN'T DO in NWC. The only solution I can see is to add a second note to the final member of the offending triplet, at the same pitch as the middle member, and tie THOSE notes. This would sound "right", but a note from the score would be lost, and part of one voice would be transfured to the other.

I admit the case is pathalogical, probably reflecting a somewhat looser notation of an earlier day. In fact, the second note in the tie is commencing before the end of the first note, which probably didn't bother good old John Bull (the composer), but would probably give a sound card fits.

Is anyone else out there wrestling with earlier notations? I sure could use some advice!

Cyril N. Alberga

Re: Weird notation--Is there a representation in NWC?

Reply #1
Cyril,

From my experience (I've transcribed one piece), the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book is full of - as you say - pathological cases. The one you describe, as I understand it, would not pass a music composition exam, and I think its probably asking a bit much to expect NWC to have to cope with it.

<<<Anyway--one voice has four 1/2 notes, while the other has six 1/2 notes, grouped into two triplets. The problem is that the fifth of the six notes in the second voice (the middle note of the second triplet) is tied to the last note in the second voice. Obviously, when I split the voices I can't tie between staffs. >>>

Don't you mean you're wanting to tie the middle note from the triplet to the final note of the duplet? I know that doesn't make sense, but otherwise I don't see a problem.

<<<Is anyone else out there wrestling with earlier notations? I sure could use some advice! >>>

When I did "The Bells", I just made some editorial judgment, balancing readability with what one would hear. Also, since I was doing an arrangement, I saw no need to quote the notation verbatim. I think I changed key, for a start.

Regards,

Andrew