Skip to main content
Topic: setting 8va in parts of a score (Read 4488 times) previous topic - next topic

setting 8va in parts of a score

I have searched this forum and can only find various complicated ways of setting 8va sections in a piano score.
Is this really right? I have the latest version of NWC, 2.1

I would have thought that all one should need to do is to select the notes concerned and click on a "8va" button, or something equally simple.
Am I missing the obvious?

Robin

Re: setting 8va in parts of a score

Reply #1
G'day Robin,
there isn't an 8va button.  But, it is simple enough to insert a clef with an octave shift, place the 8va indicator as text (along with any lines you might want) and then restore the octave shift with a normal clef.

To insert the clef, simply click the clef button on the toolbar, then highlight it (drag the mouse or <Shift+L/R Arrow), press <Alt+Enter> and select the Octave Shift required.  NB, if you make the clef non-printing you won't have a visible clef on the next system.  There are ways around this too, but it may simply be easiest to leave the octave shift and restore clef's visible.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
You can also use Instrument changes (without actually changing the instrument!)
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar
|Instrument|Name:"8va"|Trans:12|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:8|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote|Visibility:Always
|Bar
|Instrument|Name:"loco"|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:8|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote|Visibility:Always
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #3
Ahh, thanks Peter...  I'd forgotten that approach - much better idea than my suggestion.

Reply #4
Thank you for those suggestions.
But when we pay for a program like this why should we have to spend time doing things in a roundabout way? I hope that the next version will incorporate an 8va button as I suggested. I am entering a piano piece which uses the non-existent command a dozen times or more.

Reply #6
Please see my reply in "arpeggios"

Reply #7
I'm trying to use the "instrument change" technique. Thanks for that

But it shifts the notes along to make room for the name of the instrument (even though I have set it as invisible)

(later) I see it won't when printed though....

Robin

Reply #8
You can remove the tick in "Preserve Width" on the Expression Placement tab to overcome the spacing issue.