Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI Instruments (Read 4388 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Instruments

I read a particular msg about being able to change the way a MIDI instrument sounds. Well, the responses partly answered my own question regarding being able to find more sounds etc. However, I don't know where to find new sound cards or the Roland thing mentioned. Can anyone help me?

Zig

Re: MIDI Instruments

Reply #1
What control you have over your instrument sounds depends totally on your sound card (or external synth). At one extreme, with for instance a basic SB16, you have no control. At the other end of the spectrum, with for instance an SBLive!, you have virtually unlimited possibilities by using different sound fonts. You can even edit/create your own sounds, if you have the patience to learn how, and then to do it. In between, there are synths such as Yamaha XG or Roland GS families which allow modifying sounds using different patch banks and/or controllers and/or sysex (system exclusive) messages.

Identifying what kind of sound card you have would go a long way in getting help from other users of your device.

Reply #2
Thanks! Out of curiosity, how can I really identify it? I know where I can get another card real cheap, but I need to know what I have now. Also, I used to have percussion on my MIDI, but now none plays. Any idea what could have caused that?

Reply #3
Open your Control Panel, double-click on Multimedia, select the midi tab. Your available devices will be shown there, and will give a good indication of what kind of sound card you have. For instance, it might say something like ESS Solo Synth or ?? whatever.

As to why your percussion doesn't work, that's not one I've run into before so can't be of much assistance there. But do make sure, while you're in the midi tab of system/multimedia, that "Single Instrument" is selected, with the appropriate midi device highlighted. (If it's set to the MPU-401 option, you won't hear much of anything since this is for the external midi connection via the joystick port).

Fred