Skip to main content
Topic: 2 rhythms (Read 5168 times) previous topic - next topic

2 rhythms

Hey all,
This may sound strange but I wrote in this idea in 5/8 time, but I could easily tap a 6/8 rhythm over the top of it without it sounding stupid. I was wondering if
anyone knows how to write this in because I'm stumped on
how to do it. (Would this be something to do with
those triplet things that have a 5 instead of a 3?)

Re: 2 rhythms

Reply #1
DO the 5/8 eighths have the same duration as the 6/8 eighths, or does one 5/8 bar have the same duration as a 6/8 bar? In either case you'll have a rough go of it in NWC. I don't know how other packages would fare

Reply #2
I think I know a way it could be done. I could put it in 4/4 and have triplets on one staff and 5-lets on the other, but NWC doesn't do that, so I can't test it. Does that sound right?

Reply #3
If you don't particularly care how it looks, you could set the time signature to 15/16 (or 30/32) and notate your 5/8 in units of 6 32th notes (dotted eighths) each and your 6/8 in units of 5 32 notes (eighths tied to 32nds) each. Since 6 * (dotted eighth) equals 5 * (eighth + 32nd), this will give the correct 5-against-6 sound.

By toying with invisible notes you might even get an acceptable looking score out of this, but I wouldn't count on it.

Reply #4
Thanks Grant, your method worked perfectly. It's no problem with way it looks cause I don't plan to print it any time soon.

Reply #5
I wrote: Since 6 * (dotted eighth) equals 5 * (eighth + 32nd)

Oops. I was wrong. 6 * (eighth + 32nd) equals 5 * (dotted eighth). But the idea is the important thing.

Reply #6
Minor point - you don't even have to bother with inserting the oddball time signature; NWC doesn't care if you omit it, just be careful not to do a barline audit afterwards.

Reply #7
That's true. I always put the time signature in and then hide it. The one advantage of doing this is that it allows NWC to honor the whole-rest-equals-one-measure convention in empty measures.

Reply #8
...and now what if you want a third voice that contain 4 equal notes within the same measure ?
Just count all in "first-common-multiple" of 4, 5, and 6, which is 60: now you just have to enter a 60/32 measure, with your "1/5"notes becoming 12 32th (which is a dotted quarter), the "1/6" are a 10 32ths, and the "1/4" 15. Ain't that simple :)
Guess only a computer can do this anyway. Except drummers of India maybe?
Nevertheless, you can get a sample of this technique at http://www.multimania.com/madmarsu/Nwc/4-5-6.nwc or
http://www.multimania.com/madmarsu/Nwc/4-5-6.zip .

Thank you Grant for that interesting funny thing !
Eric, could we have a 64th time sig. please?

Reply #9
Particularly 6/8 against 2/4.

Reply #10
You could still have 4 equal beats in 30/32 with dotted quavers tied to dotted demi-semi quavers, but it gets really messy when the lead and solos comes.

This would be good on a later version - bars with different meters being able to play at once and take the same amount of time. I've seen and heard it before.