Skip to main content
Topic: Port Usage and Creative Live SoundCard (Read 4427 times) previous topic - next topic

Port Usage and Creative Live SoundCard

Not sure if anyone else has had this situation, but thought I would note it if anyone else runs into the problem.

After installing my new Creative Live card, I was getting the error messages:"Midi Device Failing to Open . . .". No matter what I did on selecting devices (Creative S/W; SB Live Midi Synth; Midi Mapper), I could not get rid of the message or get the program to start. (The sound card, by the way, worked fine on other programs). Even tried reinstalling NWC.

The final solution. I had NWC, Options, Midi, Port Usage set to "While Active" (which had worked fine with my Ensoniq PCI card). When I changed that to either "Always" or "While Playing", the problem disappeared.

In any event, thought I note the situation and solution in case others face something similar in the future. Appears just to be a peculiarity with Creative Soundblaster cards.

Re: Port Usage and Creative Live SoundCard

Reply #1
We routinely use the "While Active" port usage setting on a variety of Creative hardware: SB 16, SB AWE 64, and the SB Live.

Have you tried switching back to "While Active" now that you have the problem worked out? I suspect that it will work for you. Make sure that this the only change that you make...

Reply #2
Tried it. Same problem arose until I returned to the "While Playing" option. I started getting error messages when I first installed the new Creative card. However, the program would start and seem to work normally. After a while, however, noteworthy would not even open and would give me the error message no matter what device I used.

May just be a peculiarity of my system or system, perhaps. In any event, I was able to apparently work around it and just wanted to note the workaround in case someone else runs into the situation. Creative cards are pretty common

Reply #3
You might want to consider looking for a driver update. The condition you describe is not normal, and perhaps a driver update would correct it.

Reply #4
Thanks. Already had the most recents drivers (I wonder if that might be the problem?)

In any event, not a big deal, and, may just be a peculiarity of my particular setup or overall computer hardware.

Thanks for the suggestions. My overall thought was simply to have the post in case anyone else ran into the situation. Not worth any more time on your part.

Reply #5
Very strange. Program started working correctly again with the "While Active" option chosen. Wonder if the grinch just visited by computer over the Christmas holiday?