Skip to main content
Topic: text (Read 4811 times) previous topic - next topic

text

how do you add the flat symbol as text. eg instead of writing B(flat) I had to use A# as I can't find the symbol for the (flat)

Re: text

Reply #1
Let me re-phrase the above question. Regular users know that NWCV15 can be set as a user-defined font and used as text. But NWC doesn't have ordinary alphabet, and the process for setting text does not allow individual keystrokes to be set in different typefaces, as one could do with a word processor. So, what is the solution?

Reply #2
Not sure if I understand. I use a small "b" to indicate a flatted chord: e.g. Bb. I also use staff bold (non italic) for my chords. Does that help?

Reply #3
1: You can enter the 'B' as ordinary text (TNR or whatever) with preserve-width on, followed by the 'b' (flat symbol) in NWCV15, again with PW on.

2: You can enter the 'B' as ordinary text followed by two or three spaces, alignment 'at next note/bar', justification 'right'. Enter the 'b' in NWCV15, same alignment, justification 'left'. (Note that the space in NWCV15 is unusable, you have to any necessary padding using another font.

Reply #4
As an exercise, I was thinking of creating a "musitext" font that would be a regular text font, but with a few of the more obscure keyboard items replaced with common music symbols. That is, with "musitext" one could type ordinary upper and lower case (English) letters, and numerals, and some common punctuation. But items such as tilde, ampersand, at, backslash, and a few others would be replaced by music symbols (sharp, flat, natural, degree, mini-notes) that would fit in with the text. This would be accomplished by ordinary keystrokes (that is, NOT using the ALT key).

There are only about 8 candidates for replacement. Any suggestions? Also, would it be better to use a Sans or a Serif font?

Reply #5
Why /not/ use the ALT characters? That would give you 128+ characters to work with.

As to font, my personal preference is sans, but traditionally music publishers seem to prefer serif fonts. I'd say go with a generic TNR-style font.

Reply #6
Actually, on second thought, maybe I /will/ use the ALT characters. Originally, my reason for wanting to use standard keys was that I do most of my work on a condensed keyboard (laptop) that has no number pad. It is a nuisance to use the number lock. I could use the character map, but that's also a nuisance.

Reply #7
Use the toolbox approach -- create an nwc file that has your desired characters, perhaps separated by rests for convenience, which you can open below your work-in-progress, and from which you can copy items for use in the work. ;-)

Reply #8
A winning idea, Fred. :)

Reply #9
...I'd even add something to Fred's proposal : in order not to use 1 of the 10 slots of your history, you can save such "tools" files into your Templates directory.
Either you save thoses tools file into the template directory itself, or you create a Subdirectory in this latter one, called "&Tools" so you can use Ctrl-N, Alt T to get to it. In this directory you can put all your tools or reference files, such as the guitar chords, instrument ranges, and so on.

Nevertheless, and as I *finally* got an unlimited access to *Net, I'll try to see for the musictext font.
When I'm done with the boxmark2, of course! But this should happen quite soon, for the same reason.
I just need to know what character you can easily access. For me it's ²&é~"#'{([-|è`_\ç^à@°)]+=}£$¤%ù*µ§!:/
but I'm sure it's not your case!!

NWCly/Fontly yours,
                                            MAD