Skip to main content
Topic: noteworthy plays 1/2step to high (Read 3382 times) previous topic - next topic

noteworthy plays 1/2step to high

I have been using my noteworthy composer for over a year and so far it was great--until I bought a new computer. Now when I use it to play music back, it is 1/2 step to high (i.e. D is really D-sharp which means D-flat is D). Since I use this program to accompany me on my cello it is extremely important that the keys are correct (I cross checked the keys with a tuning fork, my keyboard and a metronome which also plays a perfect A natural (A440). There must be a way to correct this--anyone?

Thanks

Re: noteworthy plays 1/2step to high

Reply #1
The work-around is to do Staff Properties (F2) for each staff, and on the Midi tab set the Transposition to -1.

I don't know the cause of the problem. You could try Tools | Options |Midi and change the sound driver you use.

Reply #2
Blair is exactly correct.

Assuming you are not already using NWC audio transposition, your sound card's tonal center must be incorrect. You can work around this kind of problem using the Staff Properties | Midi | Transposition field, but then your song's will sound incorrect on other machines.

Reply #3
Just had a thought... (ouch). You didn't say what kind of sound your computer came with. If it happens to be Yamaha XG (or, I believe, Roland GS), then you could adjust the Master Tune sysex parameter. You'd have to put the appropriate sysex command into a midi file, and play the file first thing after booting. It would then stay in that tuning as long as the computer was on, and nothing else did a full reset or changed the master tune.

Reply #4
I´m sorry, but I use a Awe32 and , more than having a sound that is almost like an orchestra, it tunned perfectly, so I figure it is rude to say that Nwc plays it above, your sound card plays it above...

Reply #5
I had a similar sort of problem, only more selectively. I found that certain instruments played off-tune in NWC on my sound card. When I first heard songs using these instruments, I immediately thought that they had been recorded wrongly (I've had plenty of experience of .MID files downloaded from the internet that were just too awful to listen to!). However, when I listened to the original .MID files using Media Player, they sounded fine.

I never figured out what the problem was, but I recently bought a new sound card, since my on-board sound did not support MIDI (or microphone) input. Immediately, the problem went away!

Anyone know of any problems with on-board sound chips (I think it was a Yamaha chip)?

Robin Withey

Reply #6
Really decent sound cards can be had for under $40, I think I'd give it a try. Or put a capo on your cello! (just kidding)

Reply #7
Thanks everyone. So far I'm using the work around offered by Blair. Eventually I'll probably change the sound card on my computer (when I get the time). I assumed that being a new computer the sound card would actually be better then my older one (boy was I wrong). Anyway, I appreciate everyone's imput. Once again, Thanks.