Skip to main content
Topic: Chord Names (Read 5188 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord Names

I use noteworthy to create arrangements of some really good songs (ex. So What by Miles Davis) and for the guitar + piano, i hate writing out the chords by hand...is there any way to just have the chords above the staff??
To see wut i mean, look at Caverns.nwc in the samples folder...

Re: Chord Names

Reply #1
Well, I'm afraid that the answer is currently "No". (I don't know if BIAB could do this??)

But I find very interesting to search for it (chord name), as we always learn from the chord progression and other things.
More over, you can make a "nwc chord chart" file and copy/paste the ones you need in your work-in-progress...

You can make your own entirely, or get some from ChordCharts.zip.

HTH :)

Reply #2
In the sample, they're just added as text items. There are some advantages to entering them as lyrics, if you're not using lyrics; transposition is slightly less of a pain in the neck, for instance. I usually assign a user font for chords, something plain like boldface Arial.

Some extra symbols like º or ø can be found in the character map.

Reply #3
I wrote an answer on this topic. You can find it listed under Topic: Entering Sharps and Flats for Chord Symbols with the NWC Font

In short: you can get alternative fonts - suitable for printing chord names like F#min en Bflat.

Need I to add that you need to manage the expression placement/staff position to 9 or 10 or so.

Reply #4
Need I to add that you need to manage the expression placement/staff position to 9 or 10 or so.
No; to add you need not. In many cases, 9 or 10 would be incorrect.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Depending on the font, Pos 9 or 10 may well be appropriate.  Certainly my Chord fonts tend to work well around there.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Pos 9 or 10 may well be appropriate.
Or 17, as here:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:C
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Text|Text:"C"|Font:PageText|Pos:17|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:11|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:1,8
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Pos: has little to do with the font unless it is poorly designed or the user has it set to an absurd size.

Reply #7
G'day Rick,
Pos: has little to do with the font unless it is poorly designed or the user has it set to an absurd size.

My chord font glyphs are positioned low within the available space.  This was deliberate as they also match the positioning of the Sib. chord fonts.  I had thought to make them available/useable for Sib. as well as NWC but this has fallen by the wayside.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
To use MusikChordSerif @ 12pt in my example, I need Pos:19 instead of Pos:17. No big deal. I've used several of your fonts. They work just fine.

My reaction was to those who claim that all the Chord symbols can be put at some fixed position across the entire song. They must have simpler music than I see:
I just went though my latest issue of Sheet Music Magazine (Winter 2009). Of the 15 songs, 14 had chords. None of the 14 had the chords vertically aligned for the entire song. Every song had some chord symbols that had to be moved up to avoid notes, slurs or triplet brackets.