Skip to main content
Topic: beaming by four not by pairs (Read 2888 times) previous topic - next topic

beaming by four not by pairs

When using the "automatic beam", my eighth notes are paired off. I want the notes beamed by fours (or sometimes by three). How can I get this type of beaming correct (without manually beaming them)?

Re: beaming by four not by pairs

Reply #2
When using the "automatic beam", my eighth notes are paired off. I want the notes beamed by fours <snip>

Another, possibly easier, way is to simply place an Alla Breve or Cut Common time signature temporarily on the staff.  Do the automatic beam and remove the temporary time signature.  This will put your quavers (eighths) in fours.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: beaming by four not by pairs

Reply #3

Another, possibly easier, way is to simply place an Alla Breve or Cut Common time signature temporarily on the staff.  Do the automatic beam and remove the temporary time signature.  This will put your quavers (eighths) in fours.

I use Lawrie's method, with a small variation.  I write the proper 4/4 (or common) time signature first, then add the 2/2 (alla breve or cut time) signature immediately after.  I set the visibility property of this second time signature to never. 

Advantage?  I don't have to remember to fix the time signature before printing. 

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|TimeSig|Signature:AllaBreve|Visibility:Never
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End