Skip to main content
Topic: Drum Scores (Read 7259 times) previous topic - next topic

Drum Scores

Can anyone produce an orchestral drum score that ordinary musicians can read, instead of the midi notation?

I'm writing a musical & I need to get it played by a real orchestra - trouble is the drum notation, whilst fine on my GM module is incomprehensible to normal orchestral drummers.

Re: Drum Scores

Reply #1
If you need shaped notes, no, see the discussions in this forum.
If you know what you want the printed score to look like enter it on muted staffs. 'Hide' the GM percussion staff or staves and print away.
The drum kit utilities on the Scriptorium may be of help in shifting a note on the GM staff to a different note while preserving timing.

Reply #2
Thanks, Drake. I think that Drumkit.zip is more what I want - can't get it to work just yet, though. Shame that we can't yet get the x style of font. Anyone working on this?

Reply #3
so this isnt an answer but can anyone tell me where to find actual drum scores and how to read them cos i want to learn but i cant cos i cant read them or find them anywhere.

thanks in advance
pedro :)

Reply #4
this isnt a reply but can anyone tell me where to get drum scores for popular rock music off the internet? i hope you can! thanx
ric

Reply #5
Derek: regarding the x-style font.

NWC does not (currently) support alternative note styles, such as X-heads. If you happen to have an outside font with X-head notation, it can be used as "text" within NWC, but that would probably not be what you want.

My own font, "MusiSync," has a number of X-head style notes within it. It is free, at:

http://www.icogitate.com/~ergosum/

You can use it to create a text-line of X-head notes within a word processor, but you won't see staves.

Although I am not a drummer, I have noticed that X-head notation is a popular request for a future NWC enhancement. Singers could also use them for spoken words.

Reply #6
X heads, triangle heads, square heads, round hollow heads with an x or a / in it, all of the above!

There is SO MANY THINGS that we need to write when it comes to writing a drum part that the list would take version 2 AND 3 to complete! ;-)

A bit of advice to the NWC programmers: you hear people saying "too much is like not enough"? DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!
As like this one: "Never assume, because it makes an "a**" of "u" and "me"!!!" Put as much as out money's worth!!!

Reply #7
See my new thread regarding drum font!!!

Reply #9
hi!i am from greece and i want to ask if i can found on the net some drums scores about all the music styles(rock,funk,latin,jazz e.t.c)