Skip to main content
Topic: Cue notes for other instruments (Read 6582 times) previous topic - next topic

Cue notes for other instruments

I use NoteWorthy Composer to write for my brass quintet and often wish to show "other" parts as cues. For instance, I would show a trumpet cue on a trombone part to help the trombonist with an entrance after a long period of rests.

Cues are labelled with the name of the instrument playing them, and are about half the size of normal notes.

Is there a way to make this happen in Composer?

If not, I would find this a useful enhancement in future versions.

Thanks,

Jim L.

Re: Cue notes for other instruments

Reply #1
You aren't going to like the "solution":

Copy the relevant parts to a muted stave which is mostly REST filled, and annotate with Insert Text (checking the preserve/don't preserve width parts

You aren't going to get a partially shrunk print (Yet, please Eric - or I mean: "Soon, please Eric"

Put this on the Wish List page!

Re: Cue notes for other instruments

Reply #2
Jim said: <<< Cues are labelled with the name of the instrument playing them, and are about half the size of normal notes.

Is there a way to make this happen in Composer? >>>

In short, no. I've been thinking about this problem as it is very similar to the "small type" problem I've been trying to solve from within NWC for "Trills, Glissandi Etc" (the generic name for an ongoing request that I'm sure Eric would love to see the end of).

You could try using some sort of metafile reading editor to superimpose slightly shrunk snippets onto your score. The only problem then being that the lines in the score will be slightly closer together. However, this may suffice.

As with most of my suggestions, this is very fiddly :-)

Regards,

Andrew