Skip to main content
Topic: Multiplets and Glissando (Read 6864 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiplets and Glissando

Another suggestion for the next upgrade of NoteWorthy Composer is for it to support duplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, etc. It is currently rather annoying to notate, for example, a sixteenth note quintuplet by entering a sixteenth note and four dotted thirty-second notes--and you cannot place a 5 above the group without breaking the beams! Furthermore, it is just as annoying to import a piece that contains eighth note triplets, since they are interpreted as a dotted sixteenth note, sixteenth, dotted sixteenth group. This makes for a very jerky playback, especially at a slow tempo. Fixing this problem may also make glissandos easier to notate, whether they appear as multiplets, or better, with a diagonal wavy line connected the initial and final notes. Finally, these multiplets ought to be able to beamed to other groups, e.g., a sixteenth note triplet beamed to two sixteenth notes for a 4/4 piece. I hope that others would appreciate these changes and that they will be considered in the next upgrade.

Re: Multiplets and Glissando

Reply #1
Tim said: and you cannot place a 5 above the group without breaking the beams!

This is indeed a pain. One thing you CAN do as a workaround, is add the text before the quintuplet, turn off preserve width (who doesn't?) and pad out to the right with spaces.

Furthermore, it is just as annoying to import a piece that contains eighth note...

I encountered this problem a long time ago (er hem...) and work around it by using a Recorder macro. The macro is a series of keystrokes which adjusts the incorrectly timed triplet to the correct timing. (I called it "Tripletize").

Recorder was created by Microsoft in Windows 3.0 but is no longer supported in Win 95. However, it still exists as a legacy file if you upgraded from 3.1 to Win 95. Otherwise, scan the web for some other macroing facility. If you have Recorder, look in the "Users Tricks and Tips" page for my .REC file which has the required macro

I hope that others would appreciate these changes...

I hope so too.

Regards,

Andrew