Skip to main content
Topic: The impossible triplet (Read 1988 times) previous topic - next topic

The impossible triplet

Were we talking about bugs?
In this snippet I need to tripletize the notes in red. No way.
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Chord|Dur:4th,Triplet=First|Pos:-7|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-4^,-2^
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Down
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-8^|Opts:Stem=Down,Tie=Downward
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-8|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-4,-2|Color:1
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-4^,-2^|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-8^|Color:1
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4,-2|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-8
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Re: The impossible triplet

Reply #1
No, it's not impossible,  it depends on the input sequence.
This works:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4,-2|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-8
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-4^,-2^|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-8^
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-8|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-4,-2
This doesn't:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-8|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-4,-2
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-4^,-2^|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-8^
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4,-2|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-8
Not easy to detect it in the editor.

Reply #2
This also works:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-4^,-2^|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-8^
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

"Curious", said Alice...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
I think the answer is fairly simple. For triplets to work, the stem directions must be the same.  For split chords, the stem direction isn't apparent from looking at the notes, but if you highlight the note and look at the toolbar, you can tell the direction.

Reply #4
Hi Mike,
thinking about it, for split chords I think it's more than just stem direction, I think it's the combination of stem direction and Pos (vs Pos2)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Well, all I did for Flurmy's red notes was to change the stem direction of one or the other, and then I was able to apply the triplet. Once the triplet is applied, the stem direction buttons are greyed out (at least for split voice chords).

One thing that is interesting about split voice chords is that Pos and Pos2 change places when you reverse the stem direction. This is probably because there is an "Opts" for the main voice, and there is no "Opts2" for the second voice (which has Pos2 and Dur2)

Reply #6
Well, all I did for Flurmy's red notes was to change the stem direction of one or the other, and then I was able to apply the triplet.
Yes, once I focused the problem that was the solution I applied.

This is probably because there is an "Opts" for the main voice, and there is no "Opts2" for the second voice (which has Pos2 and Dur2)
!!  8)

Reply #7
This has been stated before, by forum members more eloquent than me, but while I like the ability to do split voice chords, they are really second class citizens in NWC.  You can only beam, triplet or annotate either the upper or lower, and stem lengths can't be specified separately for each direction. I and others have dabbled with objects that try to make them work as though those limitations didn't exist, but those are still workarounds. Putting the parts on separate layers is the better solution, but that approach also has shortcomings, such as the need to manually adjust stem lengths and note spacings to keep everything lined up. The way that other music programs let you put up to 4 parts on each staff, but where the stems and noteheads know how to line up and stay out of each others' way seem to be more natural, at least to me. If there is further activity on NWC, I hope that this issue can be looked at and adjustments made to make things easier to do the kinds of things that we use layers for.