Skip to main content
Topic: *.nwc file security (Read 2210 times) previous topic - next topic

*.nwc file security

When we share *.nwc files for certain purposes, sometimes someone makes edits or changes to the file.
Suggestion: Developers to create a security for *.nwc files so that unauthorized persons cannot edit or change them.

rtm sibuea

Re: *.nwc file security

Reply #1
I can't speak for NWC but, IMHO, I doubt this will happen.  For a start, NWC have been particularly inactive on the forum for quite some time now, and from other posts they seem to be singularly unresponsive to enquiries via the primary website too.

Additionally, and FWIW, I just had a quick look online and as far as I can see Musescore, Finale and Sibelius don't do this either.

More practically, do you have a particular need that cannot be met by sharing mp3 files generated from your work?
Or perhaps you can create PDF files if the score needs to be shared.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Windows Copilot tells me:
You can make a file read-only before sending it to someone. This way, the person who receives the file can only view or copy it, but not modify it. If they try to make changes, they will have to save the file with a new name or in a new location. However, this does not prevent them from making a new copy of the file and editing it as they wish.
There are different ways to make a file read-only depending on the type of file and the program you use to create it.
Since NWC doesn't seem to have a way to make the song files read only, Copilot tells me
To make a file read-only in Explorer, you can follow these steps¹:
- Right-click on the file you want to make read-only and select Properties from the context menu.
- On the General tab, check the Read-only box under Attributes and click Apply.
- Click OK to close the Properties window.
The file will now be read-only and you will see a lock icon on its thumbnail. This means that you can view or copy the file, but not modify or delete it. If you want to make the file writable again, you can uncheck the Read-only box and click Apply.

Reply #3
Absolutely useless for the matter in discussion.
This "protection", present since the DOS, was inserted for different purposes.
You can remove it without any problem.
The PDF files have the possibility to make them "read only", but even that...

Reply #4
In the good old days we had floppy disks that could be 'write-protected' ;) 
To tell if a floppy disk is write-protected (locked), look at the underside of the disk (the part that's on the bottom when you put the disk in the drive). On one corner, there should be a sliding tab. If you hold the disk so that the edge that goes into the drive is at the bottom, this should be in the top left corner. If the movable part of the sliding tab is up, so that there's a hole in that corner of the disk, the disk is write-protected. If the movable part of the tab is down, the disk is write-enabled.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #5
Oh, yes. But you're quite modern!  :))
Do you remember when the floppy disk were... well, floppy?
Each package of floppy disks contained a bag with the labels to stick on them and some adesive strips to put on the dent in the right part of the floppy to make it read.only, The exact same function of the sliding tab of the "plastic floppies" you described.

And do you remember when you could "double" the capacity of a "single side floppy" by cutting a dent in the left part of the floppy and then inserting it upside down in the drive?  :D (Typical of the Apple IIe 5"-1/3 floppies and previous computers with 8" floppies)

Gosh! Things of the previous millennium!!!!!  :))