Skip to main content
Topic: Rule of the stem up and stem (Read 2148 times) previous topic - next topic

Rule of the stem up and stem

Hello,

Since to lengthen  the stem  of  a note takes long time. Is there any rule that we make it like the song score sheet?. I had in mind  like this ( see attached). All notes in soprano staff will be stem up, and all the notes in the Alto will be stem down. So we do not need to lenghthen notes to make it even,, otherwise it will be  like the the layered  Tenor and Bass staves, the value of the note looks different then the original.

Thank you,

Frank

Re: Rule of the stem up and stem

Reply #1
Hi Frank,
I assume you mean like the attached - that's perfectly fine IMHO.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thank you  Lawrie for your quick response, Since I already keyed in as per songbook, is there any short cut to turn the stem up or down at once?.

Thank you

Reply #3
Thank you  Lawrie for your quick response, Since I already keyed in as per songbook, is there any short cut to turn the stem up or down at once?.
Sure, position your cursor at the start of the staff ( press <Home> ) then hold down the <Shift> key and press <End> (<Shift+End> ), this will highlight, or select, the entire staff.
Next, while the whole staff is still selected, press <Shift+Up/DownArrow>.  This will change the stem to all up or all down, depending on which arrow you choose.
Important point to note, if there are any RestChords in the selection they will not be changed and you will need to recreate them manually.

Reply #4

Important point to note, if there are any RestChords in the selection they will not be changed and you will need to recreate them manually.
Thank you  Lawrie for your explanation. On other things, for practical reason, any note sign such as dynamic variance that we already put in the Soprano staff for example, we do not have to make it on the other stavas right?, It will automatically follow as the 1st staff?. Because sometimes when we layered it, it will not be even, so it looks not good for printing the song sheet.

Thank you.

Frank

Reply #5
Thank you  Lawrie for your explanation. On other things, for practical reason, any note sign such as dynamic variance that we already put in the Soprano staff for example, we do not have to make it on the other stavas right?, It will automatically follow as the 1st staff?. Because sometimes when we layered it, it will not be even, so it looks not good for printing the song sheet.
Normally, if you have split stems for the two parts, the dynamics "follow the stems".  That means that the Soprano part, which will be stems up, has dynamics etc above the staff (occaisionally lyrics too) and the Alto part (stems down) will have dynamics etc below the staff.  NB this is definitely not a hard and fast rule, it's just something that is commonly done. 

Also remember, for correct playback each staff needs its own dynamics and dynamic variances.

Reply #6
Actually this is not true. In the latest version of NWC, the Shift+Up/Down keys will flip RestChords. However, the direction for the RestChord will be that of the rest, not the note stem. That is, pressing Shift+Up will put the rest on the top and the note on the bottom, with the stem pointing down. (And vice versa for Shift+Down).

Reply #7
Actually this is not true. In the latest version of NWC, the Shift+Up/Down keys will flip RestChords. However, the direction for the RestChord will be that of the rest, not the note stem. That is, pressing Shift+Up will put the rest on the top and the note on the bottom, with the stem pointing down. (And vice versa for Shift+Down).
Ohh, thanks for the correction Mike - this is GOOD news  :D