Skip to main content
Topic: beat repetition (Read 4286 times) previous topic - next topic

beat repetition

Good morning to you,
I wonder if it is possible to use the beat repetition sign (.//.) both graphically and functionally.
I enclose the piece of the score that presents it to me.
Thank you.
Lorenzo

Re: beat repetition

Reply #1
As a general rule, I simply copy the repeated bar into the next bar, make the contents hidden, then, I place a text entry of the bar repeat symbol from my *Dings suite.  Can take a little juggling of position to get it acceptably centred.  Once happy with the appearance I simply copy the bar as many times as required.  Very useful for drum scores, but I have my own way of doing those, using layering, that makes them look AND play right.

However, while answering this I  had a vague recollection of an object for this purpose so I went hunting, and guess what I found:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9756.0

So Lorenzo, it appears you have some choices  :D

The attached image is my version, not the object.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Very well, thank you.
I will calmly review all attachments.
For now I've entered all the repeated notes. Of course, this way the score is rather "heavy".
Cordial greetings.
Lorenzo

Reply #3
Could this be okay?
I spaced out the invisible notes and then placed the text mark in the best position, in the middle of the bar.
Lorenzo

Reply #4
Looks fine to me.  I've attached a version that uses the character from my Musikdingsserif font suite in place some of the ones from Times New Roman for comparison.  I didn't try too hard to get them centred, just wanted you to see the difference in visibility.

The image file is in case you haven't installed the Pardy Suite of fonts.

Reply #5
...The image file is in case you haven't installed the Pardy Suite of fonts.
Yes, I like your fonts better. But now tell me where can I download them and how to install them!
Thank you.
Good evening to you.

Reply #6
Hi Lorenzo,
if you have NWC2 on CD check for the installer there (not sure which version they started shipping with)

Otherwise, go here to download from the Noteworthy website:
https://noteworthycomposer.com/uc/pardypack/index.htm

Reply #7
Ok, grazie!

Reply #8
Hi Lawrie,
I'd like to close this two-way conversation.
I downloaded the program from the second attachment and installed it.
But now, where do I get the graphics to use them in NWC?
Excuse my ignorance!
Thanks again and happy Sunday.
Lorenzo

Reply #9
Hi Lorenzo,
what you've installed is a set of fonts.  There are 3 suites:
SwingDings
MusikDingsSans, and
MusikDingsSerif

They consist of alternative system fonts (for noteheads etc)
Text fonts, Euro centric text fonts, Chord fonts, and other symbols (like boxed letters etc.)

Set whichever ones you require as fonts in your "Page Setup" Fonts (tab)
You can optionally replace ALL the normal font assignments, the system font plus assign User fonts for things like text chord symbols and other symbols like the afore mentioned boxed letters.

If you look at the example NWC file I attached previously you'll see I assigned MusikDingsSerif.ttf to User1 so I could demonstrate it.
If you check the text entry for one of the bar repeat symbols you'll see how it can be used.

These font suites were designed to supply symbols and typefaces unavailable to in NWC natively.  They became so commonly used they were added, with my full permission, by NWC's creator as an optional inclusion in the distribution media.

If you're happy to do some research, search the forum for "SwingDings" - there has been a LOT of discussion.  I originally developed SwingDings (the first of the suites) when most serious discussion about NWC was in a now defunct newsgroup.

There is also some info on the Scripto:
https://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts

Reply #10

I recently used either RepeatMark.ms or RepeatMark.test.  One or both of these is the single bar repeat sign, and one or the other also gives you a two-bar repeat sign.  Isn't this what Lawroc needs?

I recently changed computers and installed NWC 2.8 beta 1 on a machine running Windows 11.  These plug-ins/usertools/objects, whatever they are, are nowhere to be found.  Not on my new drive nor on my copy of the old drive on an external HDD. 

One Manage Objects window lists CourtesyAcc.ms and RepeatBar.ms but says they are not installed.  I can't seem to force them to install.  RepeatMark.test is simply not listed.   I think that window is in 2.8 beta 1.   The other Manage Objects, for the most current 2.75, I think, doesn't list either.

Windows 11 is not the easiest system to figure out, granted, but now I've either lost my mind or both the repeat mark tools/plugins/whatever are no longer available. 

If they're gone for good, it's a shame because they were very easy to use, if I recall from earlier this year.

Reply #11
Hi David,
AFAIK RepeatMark.ms and RepeatMark.test only draw the marks themselves.  You still have to manually repeat the required notes and hide them in order for the sound to be correct.

These objects are fine and I have no problem recommending them (see a previous post of mine in this thread)

Neither are installed by the NWC Installer as they are not part of the default object package.  Threads associated with them are linked below.  I'm not sure if RepeatMark.ms is still actually available but RepeatMark.test is available in the thread.  Download one of the examples, load it in NWC and then press <Ctrl+J>  and choose Online Sync.  Once the sync is complete it should be possible to install the object by clicking the update button that should appear.

RepeatMark.test - https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9756.msg69779#msg69779

RepeatMark.ms (deprecated) - https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9576.0

Their location on your installation of NWC is shown in |Tools|Options|Fonts (tab)| "Object Plugins" entry.

Reply #12
Just a quick note about several of my objects that went away, for different reasons.

If you read the messages under the "RepeatMark.ms (DEPRECATED)" thread that Lawrie linked, it should be clear that I gave the code to @hmmueller so he could take over the development and add a number of features and capabilities that users were requesting, and then deprecated my version (and renamed the thread so people would realize this). He gave his version the name RepeatMark.test rather than RepeatMark.hmm, apparently because it was still under development. Even the test version has a number of improvements and new features compared to the version I had previously been working on.

Regarding the other two objects David mentioned (RepeatBar.ms and CourtesyAcc.ms), they are also objects that are no longer present, but for different reasons. RepeatBar.ms was present for a very short time, and came out at the same time as WingedRepeats.fso by @Lloyd. His version had a few additional features compared to the version I had created, so I removed mine. CourtesyAcc.ms was a very early object whose purpose was to draw courtesy accidentals. When that was added as a native feature to NWC 2.75, it seemed kind of silly to have an object for that, so I retired that thread also.

Reply #13
Thanks, Lawrie and Mike.  I've now found and activated RepeatMark.test

Perhaps it would be best in future that when scripts/tools/objects are outdated and deprecated, they be retained anyway.  My last major notation project was to extract parts from a 326 bar full band score, over Christmas.  Now the conductor wants me to reprint the score in a larger font, According to the error alert log for the file, there are 245 unknown user objects.  That likely means I used RepeatMark.ms 245 times, hopefully most times just in the drum part, but all those now only have hidden notes and rests, with nothing visible.   I have dozens, if not hundreds, of old notation projects that I might want to rework from time to time.  If they call for tools that no longer exist, I'm hooped.

Reply #14
Regarding RepeatMark.ms, I have a GitHub repository of all of my NWC objects, both active and obsolete. You can find the obsolete ones here:

https://github.com/MikeShawaluk/ms-nwcplugins/tree/master/Obsolete

There are no guarantees or warranties of any kind on this material, but it's there for anyone who wants to see it. Because of how GitHub works, there is also history information if you know how to use GitHub, so you can look at prior versions if that is your thing.

But here's a quick tip that should be able to help you with your score with 245 unknown objects. It is my understanding that RepeatMark.test was created to be backward compatible with RepeatMark.ms (@hmmueller, can you confirm this?)  If that is the case, you could navigate to your UserPlugins folder and copy the file RepeatMark.test.nwcuser.lua to RepeatMark.ms.nwcuser.lua, and then your old score should work fine. Another point, when I removed RepeatMark.ms from the NWC forum, it won't remove the object from peoples' computers if they had previously installed it. If it's not on your computer anymore, you must have reinstalled NWC from scratch and not copied your UserPlugins folder from your old installation.

EDIT: There are also several user tools that will allow you to do mass updates of a score to replace one object with another, or add/edit/delete object properties. Check out the User Tools section for more information.

Reply #15
Thanks again, Mike.
I found
  • RepeatMark.test.nwcuser.lua
    RepeatMark_ms.hmm.nwcuser.lua
    RepeatMark.ms.nwcuser.lua
in UserPlugins folder in a location I never thought of checking on the cloned old HDD.  I copied them into the corresponding folder on the new machine;s SSD, and Presto!  the single measure repeats show up in the big score I was concerned about.

What you and others do for the rest of us users is truly appreciated, but I think this puts you into the superhero category.

d