Skip to main content
Topic: Guitar Tablature (Read 7192 times) previous topic - next topic

Guitar Tablature

As a followup to recent discussion in guitar tablature notation, I thought I'd push NWC a bit to see how well it could handle a song. Results attached.

This could be improved with some changes to NWC2STDA and a custom lyric font. The custom lyric font would be scaled to System Metrics and allow tighter note spacing. Together, they might put NWC ahead of other notation programs. AFAIK, no one else offers a note chase of this quality.

IMO, NWC would be improved if it learned how to display repeat barlines and TimeSigs on a 6-line staff.
Also, a default of the percussion Clef to a TAB "Clef" on a 6-line staff might be useful.

For printing, Color 4 might be better set to "white". Or not...

The source for the piece is a common result of an image search for tablature.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Guitar Tablature

Reply #1
I would say: how to display repeat barlines and TimeSigs on staves with a number of lines different from 5 or 1 (N.B. the only ones I use).
6 is certainly the number of strings most used in tablatures, but there are other string instruments with a different number of strings.

Reply #2
there are other string instruments with a different number of strings.
True, but there are few examples of how they ought to appear. For all I know NWC handles the others as best as can be done.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Nice work, Rick.