Skip to main content
Topic: Minimum intervals with dotted notes (Read 1770 times) previous topic - next topic

Minimum intervals with dotted notes

Good morning to you.
Sometimes in my transcriptions it happens to me that notes appear dotted on a minimum interval (eg. second) between two distinct voices. The problem arises of positioning the point correctly, considering both the appearance (the graphics) and the sound (the single voice).
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks, happy Sunday.
Lorenzo

Re: Minimum intervals with dotted notes

Reply #1
Hi Lawrroc

If I understand your images correctly, you're concerned about the vertical positions of the augmentation dots - they don't line up consistently with their respective  noteheads. I don't think there's anything in the programme that will change it, but you can do a workaround with text and hidden notes.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:0^,1^|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:"   "|Font:StaffSymbols|Scale:70|Pos:-0.5|Placement:AtNextNote
|Text|Text:"   "|Font:StaffSymbols|Scale:70|Pos:1|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:0,1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Spacer|Width:250
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:0,1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:1^,2^|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:"   "|Font:StaffSymbols|Scale:70|Pos:1|Placement:AtNextNote
|Text|Text:"   "|Font:StaffSymbols|Scale:70|Pos:2.5|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:1,2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Spacer|Width:250
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:0,1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

To summarize, for the notes you want to appear dotted, don't dot them.  Instead, use text from the Character Map for Staff Symbols for your dots.  The playback will be wrong without the leading hidden notes, and because they're hidden, your visible notes will not be out of place horizontally..

Somebody else may have a better solution, but this workaround should be adequate with a little tweaking.

(One of NWC's best feature is the ability to create a workaround.)

Reply #2
Thanks David, I sensed something like this.
By tweaking I have solved as it appears in the attachment. I have to attach the whole file, red notes to measures 14, 18 and 22.
For me, a former chorister, the correct execution of the part (voice), with its points, is also important.
True, with a little patience - and a lot of free time - NWC lets you do a lot of unscheduled trespasses.
Hello.
Lorenzo

Reply #3
Congratulations on your solution.

I'm not sure you solved the problem in bar 18.
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:0!1|Opts:Stem=Up,XDotSpace=0.4|Dur2:8th,Dotted|Pos2:-1
with the corresponding note in the lower staff
|Note|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:-1!1|Opts:Stem=Down,XNoteSpace=1|Visibility:Never
seems to give you the same appearance as your solution, and the upper dot seems too high.

It wouldn't trouble me when reading the chart, but I think that was what you were trying to solve.

Reply #4
Bar 18, with the same method. I close, thank you and have a good day.
Lorenzo

Reply #5
There's also the option "Layered Lower Voice Dot Placement" in the Staff Properties to help with such things. But the result might or might not be what you want - see the attached score and images.

H.M.

Reply #6
Thanks HMM, your solution is certainly better, and does not resort to artifice. I don't remember noticing the option you gave me.
Before sleep I will try to change the height of the dots.
Have a good evening.
Lorenzo