Skip to main content
Topic: dynamic variance (Read 2113 times) previous topic - next topic

dynamic variance

Hi  Lawrie,
Sorry I have to rewrite my question, because I can not attached the file in the reply.
Like in this attached, there is poco a poco e rit pp. How to make it look like in the song book. and what are those.

Thank you

Re: dynamic variance

Reply #1
Hi  Lawrie,
Sorry I have to rewrite my question, because I can not attached the file in the reply.
Like in this attached, there is poco a poco e rit pp. How to make it look like in the song book. and what are those.
Looking at it, it's actually "dim poco a poco e rit" followed by a pp dynamic.  This makes more sense.

I would use the 2nd technique I mentioned in my "poco cresc" reply:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=10194.msg73436#msg73436

As the spacing of the terms is so spread out, put the "dim." in as normal as well as a hidden "rit." with it; add the "poco a poco e rit." as text entries; add the pp as normal. 

Also, add a hidden tempo mark just before the paused note with whatever target tempo you want for the end of the "rit."  Do the pause as normal. 

If this was in the middle of a song then I'd reset the tempo to whatever the score suggests it should be when you continue after the pause, however in this case it doesn't matter as the song ends at the pause.

When you asked "what are those" I assume you mean the terms "poco a poco" "e" and "rit."

"poco a poco" means little by little, or words to that effect.
"e" is basically the same as the word "and"
"rit." is short for ritenuto and can either mean "immediately slower" OR "gradually decreasing in tempo".  When I'm performing, and with all the groups I perform in, the latter definition is the one that is normally used BUT is not strictly correct as it should be the first one, "immediately slower".  In this case the "dim. poco a poco e rit." suggests to me that there should be both a gradual decrease in dynamic, AND a gradual slowing of tempo, hence why I gave the instruction I did.  It also seems to me to match the lyric.

Some people mistake "rit." to mean "ritard." and while the terms are similar, ritard, or more properly "ritardando", means "gradually decreasing in tempo".
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Good translations, Lawrie!

Reply #3
Thank you Lawrie for your comprehensive explanation, including your translation, the letter e, is "and" in French, I still remember when I work in a French Company in Jakarta, Indonesia. Now I live in California, USA, I have to learn English, although I am not young anymore. There is a saying " Never to old to study".
Again don't get bored with me, I always ask question in music, expecially I use Noteworthy, while the song that I key in, maybe made in other song softwares.

Thank you

Frank

Reply #4
Looking at it, it's actually "dim poco a poco e rit" followed by a pp dynamic.  This makes more sense.

Lawrie,
I do not see any "PP" in the dynamic, where can we find 2 p's

Thank you

Frank

Reply #5
Hey Frank,
pp = pianissimo
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
the letter e, is "and" in French
Not really. In French "and" is "et".  :D

"Too old to rock 'n' roll, too young to die..." (Jethro Tull)

Reply #7
Not really. In French "and" is "et".  :D

You are right, as in pronunciation we don't say the "T" right?....Thank you,... thank you.