Skip to main content
Topic: Why do fermatas and pedal markers only occasionally export properly? (Read 1494 times) previous topic - next topic

Why do fermatas and pedal markers only occasionally export properly?

This has been frustrating me for years!  I make midi in noteworthy composer, and then I export it to .mid files, which I can upload into Ableton and other DAWs.  Sometimes the fermatas are saved properly as tempo variations, other times, they're just ignored and aren't visible anywhere in the tempo data.  I haven't been able to figure out what allows this information to be exported properly vs not.

I will note (in case it's relevant) that regular tempo changes also occasionally don't export properly.  This, however, only seems to happen if I have two tempos placed one after the other with no interval in between.  So, for instance, I might have a ritardando which ends in 90 BPM, and then immediately switches back to the previous BPM.  In those cases, I have to make sure that there is at least a quick rest or note placed between the two tempos in order for them to export properly.  I haven't been able to figure out a workaround like that for the fermatas, however.

Very similar issues seem to happen with the pedal markers.  Some of my petals appear in other programs when I export and import the midi file, whereas others are simply ignored, as though they weren't included in the data for whatever reason.  I can't really verify whether this is happening during the exports or the imports, or both.  I have been able to deduce that some DAWs seem to retain more of the midi data than others, however!

Does anybody else have these problems when exporting?

Re: Why do fermatas and pedal markers only occasionally export properly?

Reply #1
* No, I have never had any export problem with tempo markers, and I use them extensively. However, for the last few years, I always use the following setup: (a) a separate tempo staff for the tempos, with only rests in it, which will not be printed; (b) typically XTexts for the visible tempo markers on the visible staffs. Thus, I never have two tempo markers at the same time - which will lead to random results.
What you can do, is to insert a "Breath mark" with delay 0 between the tempos - then, as far as I know, the order of the tempos will be preserved. See attached example.

* Re the fermatas, could you upload a file that has this export problem? The main problem I have with fermatas is that if you have them on multiple staves, then the delay of all of them are added up; for me, this is contraintuitive - I somehow expect the longest one to "win". Anyway, with my tempo staff approach, I now always give fermatas on the visible staves a delay of zero, and only the one on the tempo staff gets the desired delay.

* Re pedals - I don't use them, because I don't write for piano. But could you also upload a file that has this export problem?

H.M.

Re: Why do fermatas and pedal markers only occasionally export properly?

Reply #2
Thanks for the breath mark idea!  I'm going to give that a try!  Yeah, I've encountered that fermata problem you mentioned as well, haha.  I fix it the same way you do.

I think I'll have to make a new midi file specifically to upload onto here and demonstrate the problem, if I can re-create it.  Most of my songs are very long and complex!  I'll try to check back in here in a couple days when I get home.  :)