Skip to main content
Topic: Unicode/ANSI Conversion Failure (Read 1814 times) previous topic - next topic

Unicode/ANSI Conversion Failure

Hi,
I changed my computer and had to reinstall NWC. I installed 2.5, updated to 2.51.1, then updated 2.75a. I cannot read nwc files with korean in the path name.
This happened with 2.5 also.
I got this message.
Unicode/ANSI Conversion Failure: F:\MUSIC\NWC\????-?\We wish you a merry christmas.nwc
???? must be a folder name in Korean.
Also when I opened a file with korean font. The file path didn't have Korean.

Missing font '����' referenced by chan001.nwc
Missing font '�ü�' referenced by chan001.nwc

How can I solve Unicode/ANSI Conversin Failure and Missing font issue?

Thanks,
iksung

Re: Unicode/ANSI Conversion Failure

Reply #1
Do the folder/file names show up correctly outside of NWC?  I.E. in Windows Explorer.

As it's a new computer it occurs to me that the correct fonts may not be installed in Windows.  NWC uses fonts installed in the Windows\Fonts folder.  If the Korean ones aren't there then NWC can't use them and I suspect that Windows can't function properly.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I don't have such issue with Windows Explorer.

Reply #3
Hmm, OK...

I assume that when you checked Windows Explorer you checked the actual file and folder names giving problems.

I further assume that you are running Windows 10

When you said you updated to NWC 2.75a (which should be fine because I believe that unicode support was introduced in 2.75), is it actually 2,75a, or 2.75a1 or 2.75a2?  To confirm, launch NWC and check Help|About.  Note: this may not make any difference.

Also, if you go to Help|About, you can click on the "Access Noteworthycomposer.com" it will either offer you the current upgrade version available OR inform you that you are fully up to date.  This is a worthwhile check to perform.

A test to try. 
  • In Windows Explorer, create a folder WITHOUT Korean characters in the path (you may need to create it either at the root of your HDD or put it on a USB stick) and copy (do not move) some, or all, of the problem files into this location.
  • Rename any files that include Korean characters in the filename to remove said characters.
  • Ensure there are NO Korean characters anywhere in the path
  • Try opening the renamed copies.
  • If this works, put at least one Korean character in a file name and try again.
  • Take note of the result
  • Rename the file back and test again
  • Assuming the above worked OK, add a Korean character in the path (folder name) and try again
  • Take note of the result
  • if BOTH the tests involving Korean characters worked then leave the Korean character in the folder name and add a Korean character to the file name and try again
  • Note the result and let us know
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.