Skip to main content
Topic: Impossible composition, Beethoven style | Composed by AI | Musica ex Machina (Read 759 times) previous topic - next topic

Impossible composition, Beethoven style | Composed by AI | Musica ex Machina

Musica ex Machina plublished on youtube :

I told OpenAI's MuseNet to compose something in the style of Beethoven, and also told it to work completely from scracth.
After a few (hundreds of) attempts, it came up with this. I'm sure Ludwig would have appreciated this fierce and wonderful monstrosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uHIi8uz70

Scary, isn't it?

Bart

Re: Impossible composition, Beethoven style | Composed by AI | Musica ex Machina

Reply #1
Nice. I like m. 71! It sounds a little bit like the "pieces" I improvised on the piano when I was 16 - loud, fast, "Beethovenian", resulting in much headache for my mother (she was a musician - singer - and prone to headache) ...

One can see the patterns (harmonic; harmonic progressions; melodic; rhythmic) the machine has learned, and also some obvious ones (especially longer-range ones) it completely missed.

What I somehow wonder: Was this intended as a piano piece for one player? If so, doesn't the program have some idea of how large my hands are?

And: The 3/4 time signature is obviously and blatantly wrong for most parts (some have no rhythmic structure at all, there you can't tell). Did you add the 3/4 after the fact, or did the AI believe this was what it used when "composing"?

There is this article in the Guardian about a text written by an AI - it seems somewhat similar in that also there, one can see the "patterns that made it"; and how only huge editing gets you an acceptable result.

Of course, "doing things like XY" will be done by a machine at some point of time - just as power dredges completely replace people for excavating. Money to be made there, and "copying composers" will lose their jobs, just as all the (poor) shovelling people.

H.M.

Re: Impossible composition, Beethoven style | Composed by AI | Musica ex Machina

Reply #2
Well, Rachmaninoff had big hands...  :D   But this, umm, it rather sounds like Ludwig on speed rather than music he really would have written...  :P
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals 'n youfonymums - 'n I'm lernin' tubies now too

Reply #3
Interesting. Aside from the tempo, and the need to employ a couple of very agile octopuses with hands at the ends of their tentacles to play it, it DOES sound vaguely like something a third-rate composer might produce while trying to write music like Beethoven. It's got all of the clichés and none of the imagination.