Skip to main content
Topic: Forum/Server Upgraded (August 2020) (Read 14099 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum/Server Upgraded (August 2020)

This forum has been upgraded to the latest generally available Elkarte release. We have also upgraded the actual server, including its provider and underlying OS and web server software.

Efforts have been made to migrate all of the prior forum version customization. Due to the complexity of this process, there could be issues that will need to be fixed. Please report them here.

Re: Forum/Server Upgraded (August 2020)

Reply #1
Welcome back!
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #4
The upgrade logged me out. Not a serious problem except for those that have been logged in for a year or more and have forgotten their passwords.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
My "Look and Feel" profile has
Show most recent posts at the top.    ticked.

However, the system no longer shows the latest posts on top.

R.
Rich.

Reply #6
My "Look and Feel" profile has
Show most recent posts at the top.    ticked.

However, the system no longer shows the latest posts on top.

R.
Same for me.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #7
I restored the Show most recent posts at the top functionality (hopefully).

Reply #10
Hey, Eric, long time no see.  Welcome back!

You asked for glitch reporting -
My browser is Opera.  I believe it is similar to Chrome.
The new screen for New Posts is full width (  :D ), but only half the height (  :-\  ) of the window.  There's a stylized scroll bar to the left - nice to have but maybe not essential. 

The bottom half of the window is grey, with the words

Powered by ElkArte 1.1.6 | CreditsRSS
Page created in 0.012 seconds with 16 queries.

and over to the right, a coloured icon which, when clicked, opens the source page (html code for the page).

Powered by ElkArte 1.1.6 and CreditsRSS are hyperlinks.  I don't mind ElkArte's plug, but it would be more useful / userfriendly if the grey space took up much less of the screen area.

Reply #11
One other glitch which could be problematic.  Show most recent posts at the top functionality works but replies are numbered dynamically from the most recent to the original posting. 

An example is this page, where your original message is at the moment labelled "Reply #10 - 2 days ago."  The first reply was from Francis, his reply is labelled "Reply #9 - 2 days ago."  Opagust's is "Reply #4 - 2 days ago."
Today's messages in any particular target will be Reply #1, Reply #2, etc. with Reply #1 apparently being the newest. 

This means when someone else replies, the newest reply will be #1, the next oldest becomes #2, the next one will be bumped from #2 to #3, etc.   If you can change the numbering so the original message isn't labelled as a reply and each reply is numbered in the order it's received by the server, it will be easier to refer to a particular message. 

(Your Reply #3 – A day ago changed to Reply #4 – A day ago after my previous reply was accepted.)

Reply #12
Actions taken:

• reversed the message counter when viewing newest first
  • removed the RSS feed link
  • simplified the credits to minimize confusion

If anyone is still using RSS feeds, I would be interested to hear how you utilize them.

Reply #13
If anyone is still using RSS feeds, I would be interested to hear how you utilize them.

I still use them, through the web-based aggregator The Old Reader. This particular forum's RSS shows both new posts and replies to those posts, which I like. Some other forums will only include new posts in their feeds, so the aggregator doesn't show follow-up messages.

I like to be able to visit a single site in the morning, that will show me all of the sites I follow that have had new messages posted.

Reply #14
I found that the conversion of a text url into a link was a bit flakey compared to what used to be there.
It may be just getting used to it. However, the box disappeared several times before I managed to get it to work. In the end, I just completed the top box and left the second box empty and this seemed to give me the same result that the old one gave.

The option to create a list does not work properly (IMHO)
When selecting a list to prefix each line with a bullet, the system does not apply a bullet to each line but only to the complete list.
If however, you then try and do each specific line as an individual list "[ li ]" then each line starts and ends "[ list ]" "[ /list ]"
Rich.

Reply #15
From memory, I think this is the way these tools have always behaved. They could definitely be improved.

The trick is to use the tools before you have written anything. They are not useful for converting existing text.

Reply #16
This reply is a test. When I finish, I'll let you know how it went.
  • This should be the first bullet
  • And this the second
  • And this the third
And this should be text after the list.

The test was successful!  I created the above list in WYSIWYG mode, rather than "view source" mode. I clicked the "bullets" icon once at the start of the list, entered each line of text followed by Enter, and then pressed Enter once more after the third line to end the list. I Before submitting the reply, I did a quick "view source" to confirm that it built the items correctly. (It did).

For some reason, I've always created my messages in "view source" mode, and it behaves as @NoteWorthy Online‍ describes. I would create the empty list and then add the text. Which of course only works for the first two list items.

I think going forward I'm going to create my messages in WYSIWYG mode (but do a quick View Source check before submitting to make sure it got it right)

Reply #17
I see what you mean.

Unfortunately, I had created my posting earlier (ready to post after the Scripto Update) and so it would not have worked like that.

With respect to converting the URL to a proper link, it is certainly different than the old system - but I dare say I'll get used to it.
Rich.

Reply #18
I'll review these tools for a better way.

As I recall, the original Simple Machines Forum didn't use a popup dialog for links. I have historical aversion to the WYSIWYG mode, as it was troublesome.

Reply #19
Since a few days ago, online synching for objects has stopped working.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this related to the forum update?  Or is it something else, totally unrelated?

Thank you,

Noel Ciantar

Reply #20
FWIW, I just tried and connected OK - perhaps there was a glitch in your internet connection?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #21
It works for me - I just tried it, and I could connect; and then online-sync Arpeggio.ms and another one.

Firewall problem? Rules of your local VPN (if you are in one - my company has had quite weird exclusions at times)?

H.M.

Reply #22
FWIW, I just tried and connected OK - perhaps there was a glitch in your internet connection?

Used to work without any problem all the time up until a few days ago.

Reply #23
Used to work without any problem all the time up until a few days ago.

Can you think of anything that might have changed?
I just did a quick check with wireshark running and the IP address of the server being queried is 206.81.10.209

This appears to be the same IP address as the this forum so you should have comms...  Are you accessing the forum on http: or https: ?  (IIRC we can only use https: these days)

My trace says that NWC is using TLSv1.2 for the update - this is one of the transport layer encryption protocols available to https:  Perhaps make sure that it is enabled/available to your Windows installation.  I know there were some changes to acceptable transport layer encryption protocols a couple of years ago and maybe the upgrade to this server has disabled the older protocols AND your Windows installation hasn't updated?

Nah, that can't be it or you wouldn't be able to browse...  Not sure, out of ideas for now :(
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #24
My belated welcome back!

Reply #25
Nah, that can't be it or you wouldn't be able to browse...

Lawrie really covered this issue. One addition, though: a browser can include its own SSL engine. NWC does not do this. It relies on the OS. The browser might connect, but NWC can fail with SSL security issues. This is a constantly moving target, and at the moment, you really need a modern OS to handle it.