Skip to main content
Topic: grace note slurring problem (Read 1817 times) previous topic - next topic

grace note slurring problem

In Ave Maria by Shubert, I want to slur from the quarter note to the two sixteenth grace notes...
However when I highlight the D to just before the d grace note the slur jumps and extends from the D to the Middle C.
I need to constrain it to the Ded  as in grace note problem 1.jpg  not like the grace note problem 2.

Re: grace note slurring problem

Reply #1
You have to highlight the last-but-one note.  Highlight up to the E and the slur will link the D (of the grace note) as well.  Why this should be so is a mystery to me but that's how it works.

Reply #2
I think the problem he's having is that the slur won't end on the 2nd grace note, because of the way slurs behave in NWC. That is, a slur which starts on a regular note must end on a regular note; a slur that starts on a grace note must end on a grace note.

The solution is to use the Slur.ms object:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|User|Slur.ms|Pos:-6|Span:3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5
|Note|Dur:16th,Grace|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th,Grace|Pos:-5|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-7|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:-8|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-7|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #3
That is, a slur which starts on a regular note must end on a regular note; a slur that starts on a grace note must end on a grace note.

Not quite. You will find that a slur which starts on a grace note can end on a regular note.  Why you shouldn't be able to force the other direction - who knows. As well as that, a slur that comes from a grace note and ends on a regular note will also allow another slur to start on that regular note.  So the regular note then becomes the end point of a slur and start point of another.  Shame it cant be done if the end point slur comes from a slur starting from a regular note.

However, in this case
The solution is to use the Slur.ms object:

Agreed.
Rich.