Skip to main content
Topic: How about answering some dumb questions? (Read 2833 times) previous topic - next topic

How about answering some dumb questions?

Hi NWCer's,

This is not about NWC software, but music in general. Can you help me out with answers to the following questions?

1. I have a song that starts out in key of F Minor, then switches to F Major. The reason I know the starting key signature is F Minor is because I am familiar with the song! So my question is: In looking at unknown music, how would I know the song starts in F minor, as opposed to A Flat Major, which has the same key signature? My ancient brain has a vague inkling that there is something I'm forgetting... can you help to restore my memory?

2. Question: Does anyone KNOW where the term "accidental" came from? Some music friends and I were having a discussion and we were unsuccessful at coming up with the original reason for the term. Speculation welcome, but does anyone know the REAL story?

3. Lastly, I need to replace my guitar capo, I have nylon strings and always have used the little elastic-strap kind. I have seen a "clamp-on" kind of capo, they look cumbersome to me if you need to move the capo during play. Can anyone tell me if there is a good reason to buy this style of capo over the "old" style?

Thanks for any and all help you can give. And have a very Merry Christmas, and joyous holiday season!

Sue Morton

Re: How about answering some dumb questions?

Reply #1
1) a) There's no way to tell _just_ by the key signature whether a piece is major or minor. You have to look at the actual notes, preferably chords. To continue your example, if your piece starts on an F, with an A-flat and a C in the harmony, it's F minor. If it starts on A-flat, with a C and an E in the harmony, it's A-flat major. Another clue is often the ending note, which will very often be the tonic (root). If your song ends on F, it's probably minor; if it's A-flat, it's probably major. If C, it's more like to be major, since it's more common to end on a "3" than on a "5".

b) you can also get a clue by looking at the other accidentals. Minor keys will often have the "leading tone" somewhere; in F minor that would be E natural. (That would be in the case of the very common "harmonic" minor. There are other minor modes that don't have this leading tone.)

2) Pass.

3) I prefer the clamp-on kind just because there's less fussing with the little strap. But there's no end-all reason to use one over the other. If it works for you, that's the one to use!

Reply #2
Oops... point 1a), fourth sentence, should be A-flat, C and *E-flat* (of course)

Reply #3
Accidental comes from the Italian accidentale which means secondary.

Accidentale also means unessential, casual, or fortuitous, which is just how they come out when I play the piano!

Reply #4
F minor or A flat? Minor keys have a sad "minor" sound to them. Play some minor keys and note (forgive the pun) the difference between them and major chords. The seventh note (leading note ) from F is E which should be E flat but is often a natural in the case of a minor key. So E natural will probably be prominent. Minor chords on the first and fourth of the scale will also be prominent (F minor and B flat minor). And the dominant chord (in the case of F minor) will be C7 which will comfortably take you back to F minor at the close of the song. If these chords do not work with the piece then try the associated major - A flat on the first of the scale. D flat will be prominent of the forth and E flat 7 will dictate your journey at song's end to A flat major. All this is right but could also be wrong depending on the complexity of the song which can often be in several keys all at the same time. The end note most often dictates the key and only you can judge if it should carry a minor or a major chord.